Becoming a corgi registered boiler engineeer

A plumber usually has a salary between £12k and £22k pa.

If he is gas registered then thats usually about £16k to £32k.

With considerable experience and unsocial hours and shiftwork that could be up to about £48k for a very few.

SE people usually earn rather less because of the difficulty of getting enough work to do and the considerable overheads.

The only ones earning £70k would be after running their own business for at least 10 years and employing five or more people! Most of them will still be working at least 40 hours a week.

There are cleaner and more socially convenient ways to work than plumbing.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Look into the RHI / MCS mess.

Those earning the real money will be the crooks promising customers the earth/recommending ridiculous products (anybody punting "thermodynamic solar" as RHI eligible falls straight into this category) but there's also scope for some good business there.

Solar PV is easy, but now uneconomic with the withdrawl of the absurd taxpayer subsidy. Solar thermal is pretty simples. Heat pumps are a little trickier to spec than boilers but not beyond the realms of a defined scope course.

Thanks for the advice Dan. Ill look further into these. Basically, i'm looking for a career change, and i'm best doing this while I still have a job to fund the course. I'm not looking to make millions. I'm just looking for work in a new and stable environment. I believe there will always be a requirement for boiler engineers and plumbers.

Seriously, think carefully. Courses can't provide experience, and I am regularly asked to provide experience. I always decline, unless I know the individual personally.

As a newbie, and no experience, you will have to learn as you go. This will be expensive, either for you or your client (if you can find any). Try trawling through the multitude of similar posts here.

Good luck

A plumber usually has a salary between £12k and £22k pa.

If he is gas registered then thats usually about £16k to £32k.

Tony

£12K would be less than the min wage and £16K would put an RGI on less than £8 an hour.
What country do you work in ?

Sponsored Links
£12K would be less than the min wage and £16K would put an RGI on less than £8 an hour.
What country do you work in ?

The country thats in a recession i imagine!

I know house bashers that are lucky to get a couple of basic plumbing jobs a week.

Plumbing Heating Engineer, Barnsley Job Details
back to search results

Employer:

Major Recruitment.

Date posted:

03/13/2013

Job Ref No:

City:

Barnsley

Employment Type:

Temporary/Contract

Salary:

£8 - £14 per hour

Job Description:

Must be an apprentice trained or time served plumber/heating engineer.

Job Spec -

Council refurbishment of heating systems - removing old radiators, pipe work and fireback. Replacing radiators, pipe work and patching/skimming/ making good as necessary - previous experience is essential.

You cannot compare an hourly contract rate with an annual salary because the latter covers 3-6 weeks paid holiday and sick leave!

Of course many of these hourly contract jobs assume a longer working day so the earnings can be higher.

One of the problems facing work in the plumbing field is the East Europeans who are happy working for £5 an hour! I met one who had been made redundant from his £5 an hour job! Apart from his greasy pony tail he was quite good!

That will get worse when the Bulgarian and Lithuanian plumbers all arrive here soon!

You cannot compare an hourly contract rate with an annual salary because the latter covers 3-6 weeks paid holiday and sick leave!

Of course many of these hourly contract jobs assume a longer working day so the earnings can be higher.

One of the problems facing work in the plumbing field is the East Europeans who are happy working for £5 an hour! I met one who had been made redundant from his £5 an hour job! Apart from his greasy pony tail he was quite good!

That will get worse when the Bulgarian and Lithuanian plumbers all arrive here soon!
So these people have legit jobs at illegal wages....... Really.

Have you any idea what the fine is ?

Nobody would employ somebody at a couple of quid below minimum wage in a legit job knowing what the fines are when you are caught, it's just not worth it.

It was a Polish Plumbing firm employing about 5-6 people in London.

Two were made redundant from their £5 an hour jobs because there was not enough work for them!

I should have added that he was quite good apart from the greasy pony tail AND needing to have a smoke every half hour!

We are in a recession and over run with workers from cheaper parts of Europe. Just look at all the boarded up shops and pubs! It will probably get worse over the next two years with more migrant workers coming and taking low paid jobs, sending their earnings home, paying little tax as their earnings are low and using schools and NHS facilities.

I am sure we could not go and live in a free council flat and £86 a week in Greece or France! So why can they come here and have all these benefits? Or could it be because the Government has made a mess of being in the EU ?

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back