Courses to become Corgi registered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help.
I am a builder by trade and also do a lot of plumbing work.
I would like to do more with plumbing, so I thought it may be an idea to become corgi registered.
Are there any courses that could help me out. :?:

A web course would be ideal to start with.[/b]

Sponsored Links
go to the iphe website
'

www.iphe.org.uk

and see for yuorself how monumentally difficult it will be to become CORGI reg'd

sorry but its probably the most difficult trade to get into at the moment

Luckily for you it's still one of the easiest trades to get into. You can do a short course such as the ERA "Guild of gas fitters (or was it installers?)". That's something of the order of 20 days, one a week, sorry I can't remember but could find out.
Then you need 80 hours relevant experience under someone qualified. That's not exactly 80 hours of commissioning boilers, which would be rather a lot! Can be hard to get someone to oversee you of course.
Then the ACS exams are a doddle if you ever passed any exam in your life, 2 days for basic gas safety and then 2 or 3 appliance types per day. All that is for domestic only.
Corgi is nothing to do with plumbing, strictly.

Cost for the training is something around £1200 and the ACS say £1000, joining Corgi I've forgootten - £150? then about £200 pa.

Hope that goves you a feel - ask your local training establishment.

Sponsored Links
couldn't disagree more with chris

try finding someoneto give you the 80hrs

anyway what do I know good luck with it mate sure you'll do fine

MarkJayne said:
Can anyone help.
I am a builder by trade and also do a lot of plumbing work.
I would like to do more with plumbing, so I thought it may be an idea to become corgi registered.
Are there any courses that could help me out. :?:

A web course would be ideal to start with.[/b]

the way i read it he wants to do a "corespondance" course on the net that'll be good :LOL:

Thought that might rattle a few cages!

Are you ACS qualified and Corgi reged ChrisR?

It would be a bit daft not to be for the sake of what amounts to a couple of days a year and £3 or summat a day.

couldn't disagree more with chris

What do you disagree with?

try finding someoneto give you the 80hrs

I'll be installing a boiler SAturday with a guy who will be earning a few hours towards his 80. Free gratis and for nothing.

All rather trivial compared with degrees and professional engineering qualifications. You try a C.Eng.

Or even the NICEIC apprenticeship requirements.

I disagree with your statement that it has never been easier to get into the trade,

There are a lot of outfits offering courses for a lot of money but they only provide the academic side, its my experience, and you chris as per seem to be the exception, that not alot of qualified people are up for what is affectively training their competion.

I have some experience in this and try my damdest to convince plumbers that it is in their interest to be pro active in training, network building possible recruitment etc, but they all same near enough the same thing that its takes up too much of their time to train someone eg if it takes them 15 minutes to do a job it also takes 15 mins to tell the trainee what and why they have done, or it takes 30 mins if they let the trainee do it and no one is going to pay them for the extra time.

That was my point chris but am sure that you will put everyone right cos in your neck of the worlds all plumbers are willing to train someone

If it is so difficult to get Corgi reg guys to take someone under their wing, be it gratias or not, how in the 'ell are guys like myself who are getting wet qualifications ever going to get Corgi. I do my work and training in my spare time and it is very difficult. My own job has had my working with high pressure gas, oil and hydraulics so as far as safety goes mine comes with the job.

Anyone with Good Aptitude can learn and pass the 1-5 and various elements, especially after attending the college course.
The difference is Can they Do the Job?......I did all the elements and 1-5 you needed minimum 3 years plumbing experience (still applies) You cannot even get a pre-release course in Gas on leaving the forces because it requires minimum plumbing experience. Unless you know plumbing you cannot seriously think you would make a Corgi registered Installer. Get a plumbing course you will be a liability till then. I was very green until I worked with a manager/supervisor who had been on big contract work and did callout breakdowns, there is no substitute for experience I am good because of him and only him.....he showed and taught me allot more than any course or college. Not once did I see him fail.....I would go on a callout after being with different engineers for a period of "getting used to it" and if I ever hit something which I was not sure of, a phone call to him and it was so enlightening.....brilliant.. if it was not for him I would not be where I am today. I am a self employed Corgi Registered Engineer. IF you can find someone like him you will do well...I hope you do. Get Plumbing First THEN and only then Gas.........

If you have no experience, then yes you would be a liability touching anything that can go bang. As I didn't say, my experience is 33yrs in the Oil and gas Industry where plumbing is mostly high pressure be it gas lines, hydraulics or water. Branching out into Domestic Plumbing is a way to get me to stay at home.

i have read this thread and never come across so much b*llocks in my life corgi reg aint worth f**k all if you dont know what you are doing in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back