oh no not another kitchen question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been scouring the old posts looking for a situation that is similar but have'nt found one so decided to post this.

I'm about to replace a kitchen and want some advice, the current supply is to a freestanding cooker (combined electic double oven and hob) with a double oven and induction hob.

The hob is 6.8 kw

The double oven is 5.8 - 6.3 kw

Current freestanding unit is fed with 6mm run to a 45 amp mcb in the cu.

From what I can work out the current supply is not sufficent for both units.

The cu is about 25 metres away and the cables are currently run through the loft (not sure where, I've not been able to find them). So am I right in thinking the best solution is to add a cooker mini cu (not sure what they're called) and run 2 new 6 mm cables to feed, is 6mm enough).

Or could I run one new 6mm cable and run the hob from the old cooker supply and run the oven from the new one.

I'd like to get the cable installed myself and then get a sparks to come and connect it all up, to save on cost.

Or is there any other suggestions as to the best way to do this.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
as the CU is so far away, it may be best to fit a new mini CU near the cooker, in a cupboard.

Fit a 50A MCB in the main CU and run 10-16mm T+E cable from that to this new mini CU (not sure of volt drop over that distance).

In this new CU, fit 2no 32A MCBs, and run 6mm cable from each to the hob and oven respectively.

I am not sure if the mini CU would class as local isolation if it is close enough to the cooker, negating the need for 2 45A cooker connection units. Perhaps someone else can advise on the regs

i think you could count the mini CU as local isolation but only if its easilly accesible not if its burried in a cupboard or similar.

Thanks for the replies,

I'm thinking of using the existing 6 mm and switch to run the hob and running another 6mm cable from the CU, because the oven is going to be on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Unfortunatley the hob was damaged in transit and because it was signed for as unchecked (and not fully inspected as instructed on the delivery note -which the signee didn't check) we now have a broken induction hob that cost £600 which the suppliers are turning their back on.

So its going to be a while and take some wrangling to get this sorted anyway.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
If it was damaged before signing, it was in their "capable" hands and therefore their responsibility.

Crafty, they are saying that because it was not inspected on delivery they cannot be sure that the dmamge was not done after delivery so are unable to exchange e.t.c.

I've called consumer watch so hopefully will be able to sort something out.

Cheers,

dombe said:
Crafty, they are saying that because it was not inspected on delivery they cannot be sure that the dmamge was not done after delivery so are unable to exchange e.t.c.

I've called consumer watch so hopefully will be able to sort something out.

Cheers,

doesnt matter what they say/think, customer is always right etc. Write a stern letter to them, (or a quick phone call) and ask them why they are calling you a vandal and a thief. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back