Oh Rwanda

Well the original scheme presumably has some administration costs too and some of that will be saved. More so when the deterrent works and the numbers reduce.
Yes, possibly.

It's no wonder people start to follow some conspiracy theories. On this (folk entering our country illegally) you either have to conclude there's more to government 'strategy' than meets the eye (e.g. tinker but don't fix to create more social unrest) or you have to conclude they're incompetent at dealing with the issue.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone has ever claimed this will save money in either the short or the long run.
Every single illegal that is not here saves the UK taxpayer money by default, and every single potential illegal deterred saves even more. Perhaps no-one mentions it because its just plainly obvious and not worth mentioning?

Every single illegal that is not here saves the UK taxpayer money by default, and every single potential illegal deterred saves even more. Perhaps no-one mentions it because its just plainly obvious and not worth mentioning?
You're missing my point, we'll still have to pay to process these people in Rwanda. It's not like the flights out are going to be free.

I get that Mottie, and it's the reason why right wing rags should not be trusted.
However, if it turns out to be true,then we might as well build each refugee a 5 bed home. It would be cheaper.(y)

If building them a 5 bed home might deter more of them from crossing the channel, then I would agree, I would it would have the desired effect though.

Sponsored Links
You're missing my point, we'll still have to pay to process these people in Rwanda. It's not like the flights out are going to be free.

It's called inventing, to see a worthwhile return. The return being a reduction in the sheer numbers risking their neck in small boats.

I think you are missing the whole point.

When an illegal knows he wont be put up in the hotel in the UK, and given all the free stuff he will think twice trying. Saving.

When an illegal is given one of the one-way tickets, there are limited ongoing costs. Saving.

The accommodation cost in Rwanda is less then the UK. Saving.

Employment costs of the foreign staff is less. Saving.

The chances of an illegal being sent to Rwanda then being granted entry to the UK, is low. Saving.

I've mentioned it several times in this thread, Its not just about the headline costs of this single operation, there are the additional and associated costs too - both financial and other, and longer term. Saving. Saving. Saving.

I can only see savings. That is the point

Where's 'H' when you need him. I expect he's got a source in Rwanda who could tell us what the local gossip is.

Africa is a big place. As is Russia.

Meanwhile, in good ol Blighty, Mr and Mrs Smith, having worked all their lives and paid all their taxes and NI, find that their pensions are massively reduced, they can't get seen at the doctors or treated at the hospital, their grand kids get no attention at school, their kids can't get a social housing place, the local services are cut to the bone and the whole dream of a nice future and retirement is gone because hordes of free loading illegal chancers have drained all the money and contributed nothing.
FFS.

every single bit of Tory corruption costs the taxpayer money
brexit has cost the taxpayer billions

both of which makes the cost of asylum seekers seem like chicken feed

I think you are missing the whole point.

When an illegal knows he wont be put up in the hotel in the UK, and given all the free stuff he will think twice trying. Saving.

When an illegal is given one of the one-way tickets, there are limited ongoing costs. Saving.

The accommodation cost in Rwanda is less then the UK. Saving.

Employment costs of the foreign staff is less. Saving.

The chances of an illegal being sent to Rwanda then being granted entry to the UK, is low. Saving.

I've mentioned it several times in this thread, Its not just about the headline costs of this single operation, there are the additional and associated costs too - both financial and other, and longer term. Saving. Saving. Saving.

I can only see savings. That is the point
And you're ignoring the additional costs.

Building a new open prison/Butlins camp in Rwanda.
Staffing at a size suitable to manage the prisoners at volume.
Healthcare for refugees.
Flights to and from the UK for medical appointments and possibly hearings.
Fights for staff.
Flights and relocation costs for Home office staff processing the refugees.
Plus most of the tickets will be return flights as most refugees are legitimate.
Legal costs when this inevitably goes to court.
The payments we make to Rwanda to allow this.

Narau should have had nearly all the benefits you list, but the reality is it costs a fortune. Why would ours cost less?

Blimey

Has Rwanda actually giving enough consideration to hosting these refugees ?

Isis and all that caper :idea:

And you're ignoring the additional costs.

Building a new open prison/Butlins camp in Rwanda.
Staffing at a size suitable to manage the prisoners at volume.
Healthcare for refugees.
Flights to and from the UK for medical appointments and possibly hearings.
Fights for staff.
Flights and relocation costs for Home office staff processing the refugees.
Plus most of the tickets will be return flights as most refugees are legitimate.
Legal costs when this inevitably goes to court.
The payments we make to Rwanda to allow this.

Narau should have had nearly all the benefits you list, but the reality is it costs a fortune. Why would ours cost less?
All going to be managed by Rwandan staff. If they are found to be genuine refugees, they will be allowed to say. In Rwanda. If not, they go back to their country of origin.

A BBC reporter in Dunkirk says that when she explained what was going to happen to boat migrants-to-be, one man's jaw "visibly dropped".

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back