Oh what to do with the bathroom plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I would really appreciate some advice on what to do here. We had a bathroom fitted about 6 months ago, have had a number of problems and have failed miserably to get the fitters to come back - to be honest I'm not sure I want them.

Our latest problem is as follows..

On Sunday evening we heard water gushing through the kitchen roof. It was coming from underneath the shower. To cut a long story short the hot water pipe had come out of its fitting and the water was pouring out.

The fitters have installed plastic piping from the sink, underneath the floor to the shower and the bathroom. It is very difficult to get under the shower to fix and joint problems but you can just about do it at one end - so I replaced the joint. At the other end of the shower where the pipe turns at right angles to go to the shower unit - it is impossible to reach without either taking out the whole shower unit or taking off the bottom tiles and "digging" down in the plaster board.

The issue we have is now one of confidence with the pipework and plastic fittings. The B+Q man told me they should be fixed down - but they are not. They "float" underneath the shower. I am worried that they may come loose again.

We are trying to decide.

1. Should we have everything re done say with copper and just bite the bullet even though it will be expensive.

2. Should we stick with it and worry about it if it goes again - in other words how good are these plastic fittings?

3. Should I just take out plumbing insurance and if one goes again at least we are covered - then maybe get it done.

We have had so much work done on our house over the last year and the stress created by the "poor" workers (only a few of them) is immense - particulalry as we have a 2 year old and an 8 week baby (which all adds to it) !!. When you get a "good" tradesman you know - you feel so much more confident in what they do.

What I really would like to find is a plumber we can trust who can give us some advice. Its just finding one !!

To start with, can somebody give us some views on our dilema so we can at least elimate the plumbing problems.

Thankyou very much

Sponsored Links
Plastic fittings are perfectly acceptable but only use them if they are concealed. A lot of "plumbers" (The loosest term of course) use them but forget to lock them off or they don't push them all the way home to stop them from popping when the water pressure builds up. Also do you know if they used inserts?

Using soldered copper fittings is by far the best way to go but some "plumbers" can't solder!!

Note I put plumbers in quotes as there are a lot of good diyers that call themselves plumbers :LOL:

Also the pipe should be clipped to stop it moving and working the joint loose

As a rule the 15mm pipe should be clipped every 300mm on a horizontal run and 500mm on vertical run. 22mm should be 500mm and 800mm respectively

HTH

Sponsored Links
Many thanks - I guess the advantage of copper is that it leaks relatively slowly - whereas plastic floods when it pops !! I'm wondering how long it takes before it pops though ? i.e. if it doesn't do it in the first few weeks then it is OK.

sorry you misunderstood - what i meant by popping was the joint coming loose and disconnecting - the plastic pipe and connector will withstand a lot of pressure - more than your house will generate anyway :D

Plastic is only as good as the person who fitted it ,and so is copper!
If the inserts were fitted then you are unlikely to get a problem again,ive been to more copper pipes leaking than plastic although i concede plastic is still new in the life of plumbing compared to copper.

I have had plastic plumbing installed in the bathroom for over 15 years and it has never leaked, (although I use copper on any home projects!).
Plastic seems handy in difficult to get at locations.

Does anybody know if we need to be concerned because the pipes aren't actually fixed to anything (i.e. to a joist)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back