Oh yeah, 4800w off a standard plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found a chaser on Amazon that is rated at 4,800w (220v)

Presumably, it is supplied with a 2 pin (euro) plug.

Why doesn't Amazon have some AI that picks up on illegal/non-compliant products?

From first hand experience, for the product to be available on the Amazon UK site, a supplier in the UK filled in the Excel product sheet, as required by Amazon. Hell, they don't even need AI, there could be basic Excel rules that say, for example, "if more than 3,200w what kind of plug does it have" .

Sponsored Links
220V x 16 A (euro plug rating) = 3520 Watts.

No mention of cable/plug supplied with that device. The water pump wall-wart looks to me to be 2 flat vertical pins as per USA 110 V single phase. 220V there is across their 2-phase supply in the home, and is commonly a 20, 30 or 50 Amp plug depending on device supplied.

Daft they are being offered on Amazon EU but... ;)

Sponsored Links
Interesting that the voltage is quoted as 220 volt - standard in many US homes for high energy utems like those girt great ovens they like, and laundry room kit. I await Nutter's review with interest

Its those chinese Watts, like the HiFi stuff with almost no heatsink saying it can do 1000Watts per channel. They are special watts, 1000 per amp at 220Volts! Only available from shenzen.

I'd buy from china for cheaper. You'd also get discounts on top. If the wattage is not as described, you get full refund and keep machine.

Whilst the same product is indeed cheaper via Aliexpress, assuming that the correct wattage is displayed, I doubt that you will be entitled to a refund.

...I doubt that you will be entitled to a refund.
No doubt he'd leave it to Visa to sort out the mess. Getting any sort of warranty might be interesting. Wonder what the return shipping cost to China would be?

I can just imagine how much fun it is going to be trying to quote the Distance Selling Regulations to someone in Shenzen...

I can just imagine how much fun it is going to be trying to quote the Distance Selling Regulations to someone in Shenzen...

I could run the regulations through Microsoft translator and turn them in to Mandarin, but I can't be bothered given that they do not apply to orders from outside of the UK.

Last edited:
No doubt he'd leave it to Visa to sort out the mess. Getting any sort of warranty might be interesting. Wonder what the return shipping cost to China would be?
No. Not as described will be handled by china. More than likely, it will be a full refund. For small value items, you usually keep them for free.

My direct from china stuff never break. I don't normally care about warranty. I certainly would not waste my time sending something back. As the saying goes, no risk no gain. My gains over the years are significant. These produced great happiness.

Last night I went on aliexpress to give the seller 6 stars out of 5 because the copper soldering iron tips literally turned me into a pro. Soldering has been p*ssing me off for 10's of years. Now fixed for £2.42.

No. Not as described will be handled by china. More than likely, it will be a full refund. For small value items, you usually keep them for free.

But what happens if the the item is as described. In your case the chaser is 4800w and 220v, but useless in the UK. At no point does the product say that it cannot be used in the UK, but I suspect that Aliexpress will say the the onus is on the buyer to ensure that it is suitable for their country. AFAIK, given that the product isn't being sold directly in UK. The Aliexpress postage is £126.

I have used Aliexpress twice, the first time to purchase a Japanese product, the second time to order 100 caulk gun nozzles. Both experiences were positive and I will definitely use them again.

BTW, copper soldering tips, I have never used them, and I don't consider myself to be particularly competent at soldering. Can you (please) explain how they make soldering easier, and are there any caveats (regarding temperature etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back