Oil boiler - cost of a new pump and motor seems over the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an intermittent fault (strange noise) with my Danesmoor 15/19 which could be the oil pump, the motor or the fan.

As the fault is intermittent and only happens for a few minutes at a time I'm not planning on doing about it right now, however I have some prices for the above parts for my boiler - the oil pump is about £200, as is the motor. The fan is about £50.

This to me seems extortionate. Should it become necessary is there any way to obtain the above at a much cheaper price if the noise gets worse?

Sponsored Links
Check out Heating World of Spares (HWOS) Newton Aycliffe, who have a huge range of parts and excellent delivery.
Great on the phone too!
If your motor needs a rebuild, new bearings are simple to fit (6202 zz) for around £12 from simplybearings.co.uk.
The fan is on the end of the motor, careful with it so you don’t bend it out of balance.
BFP pumps are often set at a higher pressure than you need form the factory so you’ll need a pressure gauge to set it up.
John

Thanks, but is an average layman such as myself allowed to work on an oil boiler which usually requires an accredited service engineer?

Sponsored Links
I also have a Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 boiler. Over the years I've DIY replaced the motor, the oil pump, the solenoid valve, the photocell, and the ignition transformer.
All are quite simple to do. Motors are readily available for about UKP80, as are Danfoss oil pumps, so the prices you have been quoted are extortionate. Just make sure that the motor and pump are designed to rotate in the same direction, as replacements are available that rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise.
I've never had to replace the fan and I can't see any reason why anyone would need to - it just rotates on the motor shaft and is not subject to wear.

Thanks, that gives me some hope.

I'm going to check out Heating World of Spares tomorrow but just out of interest where did you buy the parts for yours?

Thanks, but is an average layman such as myself allowed to work on an oil boiler which usually requires an accredited service engineer?
I'll stick my neck out here, but if you can check the existing pump pressure with a gauge that screws into port 'P' of the pump and then set the new pump to exactly the same pressure all should be well.
Pressure pumps are cheap enough - flue gas analysers, you'll need to sell a kidney :unsure:
I'd consider new motor bearings anyway - the environment they run in is inhospitable due to temperature and the originals tend to be rubber sealed (6202 RS) whereas the 6202 ZZ is a steel sealed bearing.
John :)

Thanks John, I assume that the motor just uses two bearings of the same size/type?

Yes they do.
As the motor casing is alloy, gentle heat with a heat gun expands things nicely so the bearings come out easily.
Just look out for a spring shim, washer shaped, at one end.
John

I also have a Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 boiler. Over the years I've DIY replaced the motor, the oil pump, the solenoid valve, the photocell, and the ignition transformer.
All are quite simple to do. Motors are readily available for about UKP80, as are Danfoss oil pumps, so the prices you have been quoted are extortionate. Just make sure that the motor and pump are designed to rotate in the same direction, as replacements are available that rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise.
I've never had to replace the fan and I can't see any reason why anyone would need to - it just rotates on the motor shaft and is not subject to wear.

Yes they do.
As the motor casing is alloy, gentle heat with a heat gun expands things nicely so the bearings come out easily.
Just look out for a spring shim, washer shaped, at one end.
John
You can get a whole motor from an online supplier for around UKP80, so personally I wouldn't mess around replacing bearings.
Look for EOGB M02-1-90-12 - this motor rotates clockwise as you look at the motor shaft end, so it goes with an oil pump that rotates the same way. The Danfoss one is BFP20 L3 071N0168
I think there is also an EOGB motor that rotates anti-clockwise that goes with an oil pump that rotates that way.
Obviously the fans that go with these 2 variations are different.

That's fair enough Chris - but you can save around £65 and get some experience so it's the choice of the individual.
A motor with new bearings may well last as long as a new one.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back