Oil filter has no bypass valve

Since the the old filter looks brand new after been on the car for 2 years, I put that back in.
Looked brand new in what way? Just the outside or did you examine the paper element within because that's the important bit, not the nicely painted canister casing!

Sponsored Links
Yes, the micra owner thought she wanted a mini. Now that the micra will last a life time with minimal cost, the prospect of a mini is unlikely. Still, BMW is good about leaked info. So, I am sure information can be read using a cheap scanner from china.

I agree about the fasteners. The 18 year old ones on the micra are like new, except the exhaust bolts. I gave those some ointments and they should be good for a long time.

Last edited:
Looked brand new in what way? Just the outside or did you examine the paper element within because that's the important bit, not the nicely painted canister casing!

No need to look, low duty car, low mileage.

Sponsored Links
But, I should. Those manuals are up because they are obliged by law. I am sure anything older than 10 years are swept clean, although I am not going to waste my time confirming.
And what law would that be? Are you going to report Nissan for breaking it? They don't seem to do online manuals for their new ones.

Some manufacturers are less Narsi about it.
That's not much of a conspiracy theory then, is it?:rolleyes:

Someone with experience of cars. You are a bit suspect I think. Oil, no matter what colour or no colour at all, reflects light. Matt surface less so.
I see your character judgement is as dodgy as your engineering judgement:ROFLMAO:

Yes, they are paid very well. The online MOT history shows all the extra work they put into the car. They are remarkably keen on changing light bulbs.
That's jolly interesting! My online MOT history shows a mere fraction of the work I do on my car. Can I interest you in some magic beans, by the way?

The crushed washer was so thin, they must have gone berserk with the impact gun.
Obviously the only possible explanation...:rolleyes:

With a new washer and correct torque, the "foldable" washer leaves 1 - 1.5mm gap on the plug.
Fascinating...

And what law would that be? Are you going to report Nissan for breaking it? They don't seem to do online manuals for their new ones.

Donno. I have a vague impression that manufacturers must provide spares for 10 years. After, they can say f* you. I don't have time for cowboy manufacturers. So, no I will not report them. The less I have to deal with them the better. Hence, I wouldn't let them recall my car. Luckily, there are no recalls for the micra.

That's not much of a conspiracy theory then, is it?:rolleyes:

It's not a theory but from experience. Again, you seem green around the ears when it comes to cars.

Can I interest you in some magic beans, by the way?

No. A diversified MOT shop is usually a very bad sign. I run from them sharpish. In fact I need to change MOT shop, as the one I am using is starting diversify. I will let them do the micra then I am out.

Fascinating...

It is. Gives the oil change a nice gold bling. It's a mark of excellence compared to a cowboy job.

Donno. I have a vague impression that manufacturers must provide spares for 10 years. After, they can say f* you. I don't have time for cowboy manufacturers. So, no I will not report them. The less I have to deal with them the better. Hence, I wouldn't let them recall my car. Luckily, there are no recalls for the micra.
There is no such obligation. For someone who wants nothing to do with them, you didn't half make a song and dance about then not supplying a handbook online, when you had an actual hard copy in any case!

It's not a theory but from experience. Again, you seem green around the ears when it comes to cars.
Ironic, considering what I've spent all my working life doing, but you, I can safely say, have most certainly displayed your engineering credentials for all on here to see...

No. A diversified MOT shop is usually a very bad sign. I run from them sharpish. In fact I need to change MOT shop, as the one I am using is starting diversify. I will let them do the micra then I am out.
There are a few that still only do MOTS, but unless you're part of a larger organisation (e.g. a council workshop).

It is. Gives the oil change a nice gold bling. It's a mark of excellence compared to a cowboy job.
...says the man who will leave the same oil in for 10 years...

Still, at least you've got a shiny new sump plug washer...:rolleyes:

There is no such obligation.

There must be. Otherwise manufacturers will insist people buying something new every year.

For someone who wants nothing to do with them, you didn't half make a song and dance about then not supplying a handbook online, when you had an actual hard copy in any case!

I was looking for a private copy. If they did an official copy, I wouldn't complain. But, they swept it clean as if their lunch money depends on it. Freely available manuals would, in fact, generate more profit. They could sell spares for far more than they could sell as part of a car.

Ironic, considering what I've spent all my working life doing, but you, I can safely say, have most certainly displayed your engineering credentials for all on here to see...

I don't need credentials because I don't need to sell people magic beans.

There are a few that still only do MOTS, but unless you're part of a larger organisation (e.g. a council workshop).

Some shops make it a point that they only do MOT. I will go find me one of those. I might even revisit many places I have used before. I find after a few years with a place, they start getting ideas of extras. They'd go: pssst, want some magic beans, or maybe a potion of injector cleaner?

...says the man who will leave the same oil in for 10 years...

That's my choice. But, a shop hasn't and shouldn't have this choice. They should do what they advertised, nothing more and nothing less. Tightening the sump plug with an impact gun or breaker bar is definitely not the right way. I mentioned the golden gap for contrast.

...and refits a two year old oil filter.

That's the benefit of doing DIY. You can do whatever you want, so long as you have a feel for things. Otherwise, it's all a mystery.

There must be. Otherwise manufacturers will insist people buying something new every year.
Not in this country. But if you feel I'm wrong, feel free to post up a link to the regulation concerned...

I was looking for a private copy. If they did an official copy, I wouldn't complain. But, they swept it clean as if their lunch money depends on it. Freely available manuals would, in fact, generate more profit. They could sell spares for far more than they could sell as part of a car.
Have you tried asking them? Most car manufacturers will sell you a handbook (unless it's a really old car) and for exactly the reasons you state - they can charge you for it.

I don't need credentials because I don't need to sell people magic beans.
You'd probably get more for them than you would selling your engineering insight!:ROFLMAO:

Some shops make it a point that they only do MOT. I will go find me one of those. I might even revisit many places I have used before. I find after a few years with a place, they start getting ideas of extras. They'd go: pssst, want some magic beans, or maybe a potion of injector cleaner?
Good luck! Personally, I have a good relationship with the garage about 3 miles from me, so I can chuck my bike in the boot and leave the car with them for the day. When you have a good relationship, you can trust them not to try to sell you anything you don't need. In fact, I've never bought anything from them, except MOT tests. Some injector cleaners do actually work, by the way. I know this, and I can tell the difference between them and magic beans. Maybe, in time, you will work out the difference too?

That's my choice. But, a shop hasn't and shouldn't have this choice. They should do what they advertised, nothing more and nothing less. Tightening the sump plug with an impact gun or breaker bar is definitely not the right way. I mentioned the golden gap for contrast.
Which, at present, we only have your word for. Frankly, I don't believe you. But then, I think I probably have more experience in these matters than you do. Have you ever tried tightening a sump plug up with an impact gun, by the way?

That's the benefit of doing DIY. You can do whatever you want, so long as you have a feel for things. Otherwise, it's all a mystery.
You can also do whatever you want, even if you don't know your ar5e from your elbow. It's been demonstrated on here a few times, in fact...

I've worked in garages for nearly years 50 and I've NEVER seen this done. It just doesn't happen.
Ah, but can 50 years in the garage trade buy you the kind of insight "whackjob" here, so readily demonstrates?;)

Sponsored Links
Back