Oil filter quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken delivery of a Mann brand oil filter for my Bora TDI.

To be honest, the Comline and VW garage ones I've used in the past had plastic end caps and looked better made. The Mann filter looks like the ends have been dipped in glue.

Is this the norm for filters now ?

2aa0kf8.jpg

Sponsored Links
Apparently Mann supply VAG with filters so my apologies for a pointless post!

Ive noticed some are a bit messy on the ends but i wouldnt worry about it too much, mann are a very good filter.

I only mentioned it because the Comline brand I've bought in the past look better finished with plastic caps on the end rather than glue sealed.

If Mann supply VAG, all should be well.

Sponsored Links
More important is the quality of the paper used to filter the oil.....this is where we are at the mercy of the manufacturer!
I have used just about every filter name on the planet and I haven't a clue how good they are - if in doubt it's Blueprint or dealer, especially if the car is under warranty.
John :)

Why do you have faith in Blueprint? Aren't they a supplier like Eurocarparts? Are they OE spec guaranteed ?

Originally Blueprint were the original suppliers for OE Jap engines, and now they supply most European stuff.
Believe me, their products are a cut above the rest, and if I want new discs and pads for example Blueprint will show less corrosion after time than any other after market bits I've found.
Granted they cost a bit more, but well worth it in my opinion.

I only avoid one particular type of filter these days from a factors because i had a few that leaked from the o ring seals.
It may have a fujitoyo but i cant remember.

What I find amusing is all car part manufactures claim to make parts to original specification yet I've watched videos on youtube where engineers have taken oil filters apart and have shown them to be very poorly made so hardly manufactured to original spec.

May try Blueprint next time around John. A few £s more is cheaper than a new engine although I have full faith in Mann if they supply VAG.

One of the great filter manufacturers is Sogefi.....producing OE equipment for many prestigious makes.
All filters claim to be made to the highest standard, believe it or not and how are we to know?
Personally if I found any filter was made in China or India or whatever I'd buy something else - which is maybe doing them a huge disservice.

Sponsored Links
Back