Oil filter snapped and stalk stuck in housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I finally got round to changing the oil and had to stop half way through.
After taking the old filter out I realised the stalk/pin bit wasn't on the filter. I looked in the housing and it's stuck there. I tried a gentle pull but hand but no luck. I'm not sure when it broke as the big paper part unscrewed with the cap.
Any ideas what to do. Should i try with a tool?
I'll show a photo of the two filters in case I've not explained it well.
Cheers
IMG_20210429_173437.jpg

Sponsored Links
A coach screw (wood screw thread, tapered end) from the local diy shop should do the job. Just slight larger than the stem's inner so it gets a bite. Twist in and pull.

I presume the new filter is a quality brand?

Sponsored Links
Mercifully I've never come across this one, and I've changed so many! It looks like the break may be at the cruciform section so hopefully it can be gripped somehow.
If this is a VW P.D. engine with the filter on the top I seem to think if the bottom of the oil cooler section is undone the broken section could maybe be pushed out from below.....the cooler may have a screw on cap just like the filter top - but that was a long time ago.
John :)

Thanks fellas, got it out. I wont say whos advice I took as the other two will get jealous :)
Also you might remember I did a thread about sump nut washers. Ive just seen why I left the old one on last time. The washer wont come off the thread. I''l have to cut it somehow. Its a silver metal too which surpised me.
Cheers

I wont say whos advice I took as the other two will get jealous
I won’t get jealous if it wasn’t me but telling us how you did it may help someone else in the future. (y)

Brings back memories, the ammount of customers I used to have phoning up and complaining the oil filters sent was wrong..... They would never believe us when we said the ends snapped in the housing, just get a load of abuse... Then an hour later they would phone back and apologize we were right..

FYI, re the sumo washer, the plug and washer should be changed. Corteco do a really good range of sump plug and washers, good quality to boot aswell.

I won’t get jealous if it wasn’t me but telling us how you did it may help someone else in the future. (y)

Well there was enough sticking up to get pliers on. I put one of the prongs inside the tube, as i thought it less likely to break that way. I think they would have all worked as long as there was enough to get on to.

It may be that your Bosch filter was made by Mann.
Hope so, mind you it was a Mann one that broke.

I'm just contenplating taking a hacksaw to the one stuck on the plug and using one of my 200 chinese ones or putting the old one back on. Head says one thing heart says another.

Sponsored Links
Back