Oil fired central heating issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Currently experiencing an issue with our oil fired central heating system. When CH/HW is switched on, the central heating does not always work - the hot water does however without fail. We had the timer set to come on last night but alas, only the H/W came on. After a couple of hours of playing with the controls - we could not get the central heating to work at all. This morning however, both worked - quite strange! Furthermore, sometimes when the C/H does work, only half of the radiators in the house heat up - when this happens, we turn the CH / HW off and then back on again immediately and hey presto - those radiators then start to work. Wondering what might be causing this issue. The controls are quite old (Honeywell st6200a) so might need to be replaced, but I'm convinced that there's something else that's not quite right... any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is making hot water for both the Ch and HW store then its working...so you are left with the diverter valve, pump and the controls for it. I would suggest that the controller is not doing its job, that could be a controller fault or a wiring fault. However the first thing I would check is that the unit is actually attached properly to the back plate, are the screws tight. That unit has a set of pins that engage with wiring in a connection box. Over time the box gets a bit loose from the wall and hey presto a dodgy connection.

If you have a meter and know how to use it check the wiring centre for voltages in the various modes. CH on, Hw On, then timed etc etc.

Thanks Marty. I'll get someone round to look at that - something I don't have the skills for. Do you think the dodgy controller could also account for those times where only half of the radiators were coming on?
Cheers

Could be an airlock or a crud build up..check the header tank is filling , add some cleaner and inhibitor, bleed the rads could also be the programmer not firing the diverter valve properly...

Sponsored Links
I also have oil heating, and have had a similar issue in the past - hot water working, but when it changes to heating, although the light on the control unit shows the heating is on, nothing is happening.
I think in my case it's a microswitch in the valve, not quite connecting/disconnecting when the water goes off. I found it could fiddle with the valve and a small "button" on the side and there'd be a click and I'd hear the valve move, and the heating would come on. For the last couple of years I haven't had the issue. Perhaps your valve is not moving across fully and restricting flow to the rads.
Good luck.

Thanks Reg. Where might you find the valve just so I can check it?

In my set up it's just next to the pump in the airing cupboard. It's a Drayton ZA5 (i think). Its the motorized valve that directs the hot water from the pump either into the radiators or into the heating coil in the hot water tank.

The microswitch would be my first port of call. The microswitch is fitted inside a motorised valve. When the controls wind open the valve, it presses on the microswitch which in turn operates and starts the boiler.

Some systems may have 2-Port valves (I think a ZA5 is an actuator for this type of valve) usually there are two valves, one for HW and one for CH. If the microswitch in the CH valve fails the valve will open but the boiler won't start until the HW valve opens and its switch starts the boiler. At this point water will also flow through the already open CH motorised valve and the radiators will heat up too.

If instead you just have one 3-Port diverter valve there is still a microswitch inside that is triggered when the CH is required.

Sometimes the microswitch fails to operate altogether, sometimes they work intermittently and sometimes they stay permanently on.

If you or someone you know is competent with a multimeter, the orange wire from the motorised valve is the one that controls the boiler. If CH only is selected to operate then this wire should be live.

Capture.JPG

No joy locating a diverter valve / microswitch just yet, will check the roof space to see if it's up there somewhere. Thanks for all your advice, will hopefully find this diverter/microswitch and get the problem fixed

They are usually close to the hot water cylinder as per the example below.

Capture.JPG

Sorry I got confused earlier and thought it was you that said you had a ZA5 actuator. If you have an old system (40 years plus) you may not have motorised valve/s

This is our set up. Definitely can’t see any motorised valves anywhere
6F04B4D9-1A3B-4D0A-9720-5871E7AC0044.jpeg

Electric feed to the boiler and two pumps (wilo gold 50). Other fuel line feeds the oil fired cooker

CH and HW set to come on at 4pm, only HW worked. Pipes connected to the pump located to the right of the boiler were cold to touch, pipes connected to the pump on the left were warm/hot - this might mean nothing whatsoever...

Electric feed to the boiler and two pumps (wilo gold 50). Other fuel line feeds the oil fired cooker
Two pump system fairly common system on older oil systems.
If installed correctly somewhere you will have relays so heating and hot water can work independently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back