Oil Fired Trianco Redfyre Centrajet 13/17 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has just started giving the following problem.
After a cycle of running ok the burner switches off at the 'low' setting,on the front panel setting switch,as normal.The problem is that when it comes to restart(when the temperature has dropped below the 'low'setting)a buzzing noise is heard from the burner region and after a few seconds the control box locks out with the orange light on.I have found however that i can make it fire up again,during the buzzing,if I quickly turn the front panel switch on and off a few times before the control box goes into lock out mode otherwise I have to wait for the normal 1 minute restart period.
I have recently fitted a new control box and light sensor and when it does run every thing seems to work fine.
It seems that another component is acting up but which one ?
I would appreciate any advice on the subject because its got me baffled.

Sponsored Links
Does it make only a buzzing noise, or does the motor run as well?

Just the buzzing noise heard as though something is trying to start but can't.
Sometimes the cycle starts normally and other times it just buzzes for a few seconds and then locks out.

Sponsored Links
In that case it's either a stiff pump, or the motor capacitor needs replacing. It should be 4µF, it's useful to measure the old one.

Sound advice
That seems to fit in with the fact that if I open the burner flap and spin the fan with a screwdriver some times it feels free and other times it feels as though its locking up or has heavy resistance.I would have thought it should have a constant spin rate.

Remove the oil pump and rotate by hand, any tight spots can be felt!!

Might be an idea to check the plastic drive coupling between the motor shaft and the pump shaft. If the pump has been tightening up it may have stripped the lugs on the coupling.

The buzzing noise you hear is the electrodes sparking, but if the fan (motor) is not running then you won't have fuel or air flow to feed the ignition.

The key is to clearly identify what you have or have not:

If you don't have the motor running then you may have a motor or a controller fault.

If you do have the motor running then it may be the fuel pump or the nozzle. In which case I'd open the firebox after the controller has locked out (having isolated the boiler electrically first) and if the nozzle is wet I'd suspect a blocked nozzle. If its dry I'd suspect that the pump is not delivering the fuel either due to a failed pump solenoid or insufficient pressure being generated by the pump.
[/u]

In that case it's either a stiff pump, or the motor capacitor needs replacing. It should be 4µF, it's useful to measure the old one.

Spannerman60 - follow Oilman's advice...

Old but good advice. Just what happened to my one - needed a new oil Danfoss oil pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back