Oil soaked alternator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of weeks after service the seal on the new oil filter went and coated the diesel engine on my Dacia Logan with oil.

The garage fixed this and jet washed the engine. But less than a week later my alternator has failed. It had been coveredon oil

They say the incidents are not related

Just wanted an independent view this before going back to them

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This could turn out to be a bit of a battle.....engine oil does not conduct electricity so I guess they are in the right there.
However, this does seem to be a bit of a coincidence that it happened just a week after! Equally suspicious is the failing of an oil filter seal :rolleyes:.
I guess this is the 1.5 dci motor with the filter at the top of the engine - hopefully the oil didn’t get to the timing belt ! Unlikely though.
I think I’d be looking for some help from the garage - at least free fitting of the new alternator, plus an explanation of the filter seal failure.
John :)

Yes the 1.5

It stuck me as to much of a coincidence. And I'll follow up on the filter.

Thanks

The oil filter on my BMW diesel engine, has a cap where the seal fits, where it is designed to fit is rather counter intuitive. Guess and likely you would guess wrong, whereupon under pressure it will leak. It then leaks all over the alternator. Oil and alternators do not mix well.

Sponsored Links
Back