Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, not the thick black stuff, but the culinary variety.

Prices have been going mad. Just seen corn oil for £4 a litre in Asda.
In Iceland, prices are similar and there is a limit of 1 bottle per customer.

My local Aldi has empty shelves for all but the more select oils, EV olive oil and cold-pressed rape.

Sponsored Links
surely you heard about that months ago? Ukraine is a world-level producer. Farms have been deserted in the occupied areas; farm machinery and diesel stolen by the invaders.

we have been expecting the shortage.

"...Ukraine exports about 10 per cent of the world’s wheat and corn and 37 per cent of its sunflower oil, according to UN FAO..."

https://www.ft.com/content/48a124e3-8c3e-4553-8190-83f3aa984e56

"Stavnitser from the Pivdenny port said $100bn worth of goods were stranded due to the blockade, including grains, sunflower oil, iron ore and other materials. Dozens of vessels in Odesa and the surrounding ports have been unable to leave Ukrainian waters. The number will rise as Ukrainian farmers harvest crops that have no easy outlet on to global markets."

"Mar 31, 13:44

Russia announces ban on exports of sunflower seeds

Emiko Terazono in London

Russia is to ban exports of sunflower seeds and rapeseeds and introduce an export quota on sunflower oil as it seeks to ease pressure on rising domestic prices.

Russia is the world’s third-largest exporter of sunflower seeds, which are used by food companies and in bread and snacks, as well as processed into oil.

The war has cut off sunflower oil supplies from Ukraine, which is the largest exporter of the commodity, sending prices soaring. Global vegetable oil prices have also jumped, with palm oil and rapeseed oil hitting record highs after the Russian invasion.

Retailers in some European countries have reported a shortage of sunflower oil as shoppers rush to stock up..."

"...Analysts expect a sharp fall in sunflower seed and oil production in Ukraine this year owing to the threat to planting in light of the war."

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I recently found a bottle of toasted sesame oil, imported from Japan and it's bloody delicious. Now i can't see it on the shelves so i'm using it very sparingly as when it runs out i'm afraid i won't see it again. £3.50 for 150ml and worth every penny. It leaves all the flavour on a stir-fry without burning or leaving the pan messy.

All those furloughs, vaccines and tests have to be paid for somehow.

Sponsored Links
Back