Capital punishment for or against

• Hell yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Oh No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
As people keep trying to tell you. It's stopped murderers from murdering again.

Obviously, but now you're missing the point!!

It does not put off those who have yet to murder but are considering it or those who have, but have not been caught yet!

...and as I keep telling you, if you have a death penalty then jurors are loathe to find a person guilty in case a mistake is made - so murderers walk free, many to murder again.

Sponsored Links
...and as I keep telling you, if you have a death penalty then jurors are loathe to find a person guilty in case a mistake is made - so murderers walk free, many to murder again.

So only advocate the death penalty in those cases which are proved beyond all doubt, not just "reasonable doubt".
It would be easy to start off with a life sentence which could be upgraded to the death penalty should better than circumstantial evidence come to light.

It does not put off those who have yet to murder but are considering it

Again, how do you know?
It may not put off all, but it would make some think twice.
Which of course means that opponents of the death penalty can take some responsibility for the deaths of those victims whose murderers would have been put off by having it.

I don't think the DP is a deterrent as such, but it sure stops them repeating the offence and I'm all for a eye for an eye..

I think that's wrong.

We're gong back to the other thread where the makes the people putting the murderers to death no better than the murderers themselves.

The death penalty is not civilised.

No, it seems to be your favourite question to me.

You tell me how you know, without being rude, and I'll entertain your school of thought.

Let's take you as an example then, let's say for the sake of argument that you were planning to do somebody in for whatever reason. Are you saying that the thought of dangling on the end of a rope wouldn't give you pause for thought? It would for me. :rolleyes:

Let's take you as an example then, let's say for the sake of argument that you were planning to do somebody in for whatever reason. Are you saying that the thought of dangling on the end of a rope wouldn't give you pause for thought? It would for me. :rolleyes:
The thing is though that the majority of 'murders' are not planned or are so called 'crimes of passion'.The argument of DP being a deterrent is therefore largely invalid.

And the murder rate is at it's lowest for over a decade, which is in no small part due to a corresponding fall in domestic violence.

And that's where you're going wrong.

To you & me, it would give us pause for thought, but then we wouldn't consider murder either, would we?

But to those that would, it is not a deterrent.

If they are of that frame of mind to consider murder, they would not be deterred by the thought of the death penalty.

To you & me, it would give us pause for thought, but then we wouldn't consider murder either, would we?

It would give anyone capable of thinking through the possible consequences of their future actions pause for thought.

Sponsored Links
Back