OK - I give in

The beam angle doesn't matter, you have almost a point source ....
Indeed, and much is the same for a 6" downlight - or, indeed, any sort of ceiling-mounted small light fitting. As you will understand, I was responding primarily to what seemed to be a perpetuation of the view that downlights were 'small torches'.
... - all the beam angle does is widen the cone not deal with the fundamental issue.
As I see it, the main issue with any physically small light source is that of shadows - which is why one needs more than one 'small' source such as a downlight.

The traditional solution to that relied on light reflected from the ceiling, but the only light sources which directly illuminate the ceiling (other than uplighters) were 'dangling things' (like pendants and chandeliers) - and the alternative to ceiling illumination is to have light sources (e.g. 'tubes' and 'panels') which represent much more 'spread out' light sources.
A 6" downlight with 25° beam angle will give significantly more useful light than a 2" downlight with a 110° beam angle.
I don't really understand that - at least, in terms of illumination of a whole room. For a given light output, illumination will obviously be brighter 'within the cone' with a narrower beam angle, but the cone will obviously be much narrower - and, as above, a single 6" downlighter will probably have almost as big a 'shadow problem' as a 2" one.

As above, any small ceiling-mounted light source (whether downlight or anything else) results in problems of shadows (as would, to a large extent, a pendant, if fitted with a small shade which prevented light being transmitted upwards of the horizontal) - so relatively shadow-free lighting requires more than one of them. However, the point about large beam angle ones is that one generally needs far fewer of them to produce reasonably even and shadow-free illumination of work areas than is the case with narrow-beam ones. In addition to the direct advantages of the 'wider cone', wide-angle ones will produce more illumination of walls (hence some secondary illumination of the ceiling), which will further help to reduce shadows.

Of course, if people are aesthetically happy with a dangling 'GLS'-style pendant, then that is probably the best.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, the point about large beam angle ones is that one generally needs far fewer of them to produce reasonably even and shadow-free illumination of work areas than is the case with narrow-beam ones. In addition to the direct advantages of the 'wider cone', wide-angle ones will produce more illumination of walls (hence some secondary illumination of the ceiling), which will further help to reduce shadows.

Aside from needing more downlighters, ceiling height has a tremendous effect too. Prior to retiring, one of my banks had a 45 foot high ceiling in its massive banking hall. That was refurbed and was very effectively lit with LED down lighter flood lights. They worked surprisingly well, in providing good even illumination.

Aside from needing more downlighters, ceiling height has a tremendous effect too. Prior to retiring, one of my banks had a 45 foot high ceiling in its massive banking hall. That was refurbed and was very effectively lit with LED down lighter flood lights. They worked surprisingly well, in providing good even illumination.
Indeed - height is obviously a crucial factor. However, other than in relation to reflection from walls, height does not alter the problem of shadows that result from an essentially point source of light - so that one again might well need multiple lights in order to achieve shadow-free lighting.

Kind Regards, John

Just popping back into the forum after many years absent. I just had to say I find it absolutely poetic that BAS' goodbye thread became an argument about the merits of downlights! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He would be proud.

Thanks, and sorry for the necro.

Sponsored Links
Just popping back into the forum after many years absent. I just had to say I find it absolutely poetic that BAS' goodbye thread became an argument about the merits of downlights! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He would be proud.

Thanks, and sorry for the necro.
It's alright. I still maintain that @ban-all-sheds is a complete and utter plonker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back