Ok I need help !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people. I am a fully quilified computer engineer with 30 years experience but want a chnage in life. I want to become an electrician and have an interview at local collage tomorrow, but where else should I be looking ????

Dave

Sponsored Links
You may want to consider PLC and PIC work. Deeside college did do a course but the lecturer has retired now.
Newi did it as part of the Foundation Degree is Electronic and Electrical engineering that's normally a two year course.
There is a supplied around the Lancaster area would also did courses in PLC work "LC" seems to ring a bell but can't of hand remember the name.
You say Cheshire but not where in Cheshire Liverpool will likely also run some courses and Capenhurst is worth a look at.

I say PLC work as that way you are still using some of your computer skills.

You may want to consider PLC and PIC work. Deeside college did do a course but the lecturer has retired now.
Newi did it as part of the Foundation Degree is Electronic and Electrical engineering that's normally a two year course.
There is a supplied around the Lancaster area would also did courses in PLC work "LC" seems to ring a bell but can't of hand remember the name.
You say Cheshire but not where in Cheshire Liverpool will likely also run some courses and Capenhurst is worth a look at.

I say PLC work as that way you are still using some of your computer skills.

I am in Stockport and thank you. PLC work ?? I did a lot of Cat 5 cabeling and I dont mind doing a 2 year course. I have picked up books including the 17th edition and I have been told to try and get "Part P" quilified ??

Dave

Activ8
There are number of ways of achieving electrical qualification.
There are the fast track route that claim you can become an electrician in 6 weeks, I doubt you can.
There are also courses over longer periods of time.
If it's a city/town college you are going to, your likely to be offered two options;
Full Time; one day a week for 2 years.
Part Time; two evenings a week (3hrs per evening) for 3 years.
This course is currently under the banner of "C&G 2330 level 2 and 3" but is changing it's name, soon.
This course covers buildings and structures, which will help you gain a knowledge of both domestic and industrial electrics.
It is a course based on progression and the next stages after completion are 2380 C&G (this is the 17th edition wiring exam, BS7671;2008) and the 2391 (inspection and testing)
This will all be touched on in the 2330 course and the course it is changing to.
This progression from level 2 to level 3 subjectS will take you beyond the scope of needing to take any other type of part p exam or qualification.
This subject matter has been covered many times on this forum, if you search the forum you may find other interesting post regarding a career as an electrician.
There are a whole host of publication that will be needed, to help you along your way, as I have stated the course is changing as will, I guess the publication that run along side the course.
But I would suggest if you do decide to get qualified as an electrician.
That these publication should be on your wish list.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IEE-site-Gu...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274423803&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IEE-Wiring-Regulations-17th-explanatory/dp/0863418449/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidance-Note-Inspection-Testing-Notes/dp/0863418570/ref=pd_sim_b_2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrician...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274423886&sr=1-1

Just a few of many.

I have taken this from the ableskills website, explains the 2330-2357 change.
City & Guilds 2357 (QCF Replacement)

2330 level 2, 2330 level 3 and 2356 NVQ – These qualifications are about to change……….
City & Guilds 2357

This qualification will replace the current Technical Certificate (2330 Certificate inElectrotechnical Technology) and NVQ (2356 NVQ in Electrotechnical Services.)

This restructured qualification is still in draft stage and the latest draft units (Installation Electrician) from the City and Guilds are:

* Applying Health and Safety legislation and working practices (Electrotechnical Services)
* Understanding Health and Safety legislation and working practices (Electrotechnical Services)
* Applying environmental legislation, working practices and principles (Electrotechnical Services)
* Understanding environmental legislation, working practices and principles (Electrotechnical Services)
* Overseeing and organising the working environment
* Understand the practices and procedures for overseeing and organising the work environment
* Terminating and connecting of conductors, cables and flexible cords in electrical systems
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and flexible cords in electrical systems
* Inspecting, testing and commissioning electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for the inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding electrical principles associated with the design, building, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems
* Planning, preparing and installing electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the practices and procedures for planning, preparing and installing of electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Occupational Competence Assessment (AM2)

Sponsored Links
As PBoD suggests, don't do a fast track course but go to college. With a fast track course you'll be left with gaps in your knowledge you didn't know you had until you're half way thorugh a job with no-one to ask!

A good idea would be to start the college course and see if you can find work experieince with a spark one day a week (work permitting). I'm currently helping out a spark whenever possible although as I work shifts I get a few days off in the week which make it easier.

It might also depend on how much financial committment you are currently under too. :cry:

A good idea would be to start the college course and see if you can find work experieince with a spark one day a week (work permitting).

It's more than a good idea.

Full Time; one day a week for 2 years.
Part Time; two evenings a week (3hrs per evening) for 3 years.

The whole history, and ethos, of City and Guilds courses (think about the meaning invested in the word "Guilds") is that they provide some of the training you need to become a proficient in your craft.

1 day a week of it.

The other 4 days a week are supposed to be (and once upon a time they were) spent working alongside a qualified and experienced craftsman to learn all the other aspects of the craft.

OK - there was much that was inefficient and wasteful about the way that apprentices' on-the-job training was done, but you cannot dispense with all of it.

On the job experience is essential, no matter what field you go into, you cant go to a few evening courses and have a clue about ripping someones house apart to rewire it or go into a factory and start doing fault finding and general repairs, you need the on the job experience to learn about electrical installations in the field, clipping some twin and earth and bending some conduit around a ply lined booth may give you the principles of the installation work but there are rarely any properties that are 10' cubed with an open front!

The only way to make a career change is to have the money behind you so that you can afford to live on an apprentices wage, and IMO (many wont agree) the knowledge and skills that you will learn from a proper tradesman should be paid for, after all the college are hardly going to pay you to attend their courses are they?

I think it is more important to ask the question "what would it take for me to become an electrician and is it viable for me?" rather than "I want to be an electrician?"

I take it you're going to Stockport College?

That's where I trained in the 80's and it was excellent. Don't know what it's like now, though.

They've got an open evening, 8th June 5-8pm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back