Wanting to be an Electrician, aged 18.

The electrical installation level 2, is the cg2330 part 1 (level 2)

I am not sure why they are being separated out?

Sponsored Links
The Electrical Installations one is full time 13 weeks, where as the C&G ones are part time 33 weeks each!

You need to do the 2330 levels 2 & 3, if I had to guess the course entitled 'Electrical Installation' on the link you posted is the level 2, but you need to ask the college about that.

However, as Taylortwocities alluded to, the 2330 is being replaced. Infact, I remember reading that last enrolment for both levels should be, at the latest, April this year. You need to speak to the college ASAP, as the 2330 is being replaced by something that (I believe) requires you to be employed in the industry before you are allowed to enrol as the qualification is a combination of the 2330 and the NVQ, which are currently seperate from each other.

As a final note; don't give up on university. I set out to become an electrician in a similar way that you're intending, but due to the state of the construction industry in this country I've given that up and gone to Uni. It's alright having all the relevant bits of paper & experience, but a lot of people seem to be struggling for work at the minute which will put you right at the bottom of the chain, and despite what we're often told, there's not a shortage of sparkies.

I don't know what A-levels you're doing but if this is the sort of thing you're interested in then at least apply through UCAS to study electronic/electrical engineering, then work your backside off trying to find a job/apprenticeship in the electrical industry in the meantime, using Uni as a backup plan incase things don't work out/you change your mind. If you're not doing the required A-levels, a lot of Unis offer a foundation year.

An engineering degree is nothing like the 2330 course, however it's enjoyable and there's a massive range of professions you could enter after graduating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back