Wanting to be an Electrician, aged 18.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm currently in my 6th form second (last) year and not really want to go to university and would like to pursue a career as an electrician. This is because it is really where my interests lies (always wiring stuff up). I have a certain amount of electrical knowledge (know how to wire plugs/sockets/fittings and have a limited amount of regulation knowledge - cable sizes, safe zones, fuse/mcb ratings/RCDs/ring finals & radial ext + can do telephone, cat5 & coax stuff, alarms, CCTV.

Was really wondering the best way of approaching this, so though you may be able to help with your experience. My thoughts were to go to the local collage to study (not sure which courses would be best, just been having a look). I understand though it's best to get allot of on the job experience before going alone, don't think their are many apprenticeships around at the moment though.

Any ideas?? Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
http://www.sse-apprentices.co.uk/ maybe?

You are too late for this year. Applications open in January and close in February :cry:

Edit: Note entry requirements: In order to be considered for an Apprenticeship you must have a minimum of four GCSEs or Standard Grades (at C/3 or above), including Maths, English and a Science or Craft subject.

Thanks for replying so quickly :)

Do you think the best route would be to apply for an electrical course at my local collage then? I've had a look on their website and the ones listed are:
Electrical Installation - Level 2
17th Edition IEE Regulations
Electrical Electrotechnical Technology C&G 2330 - 01 Level 2
Electrical Electrotechnical Technology C&G 2330 - 07 Level 3

Then after that, try and get some work experience like in the link BAS posted?

Thanks Again :D

Sponsored Links
You could go to the various sheme web sites such as the NICEIC site, click on find a contractor and pump in your post code.

That will give you a list of electrical Co's in your area. I'd suggest you post / email and phone them all and see if you can get a few weeks unpaid work.

They will have to sort some insurance for you, and are unlikely to be interested in paying you. Although some might cover expenses or offer a nominal £10 a day bonus.

Quite alot of the C&G courses are not f/t so you may need to pad out your learning with p/time work,

One of the large utility companies were looking for apprentices a few weeks ago, I can't remember which one though.

www.jtl.org.uk try this website for some more advice on becoming and electrician. Best advice is to try and get in with a big firm who will give you a wide variety of experience on different types of installation work.

Do not be put off. It is not for nothing that the Spark is known as the Prince amongst Tradesmen.

Seriously, in the current economic climate going to University to do a PHD in Media Studies etc is nothing but a short cut to the dole queue. Get yourself a trade, and there is NO better trade than a Spark, and you will be set up for life.

You will need to do the equivalent of City and Guilds 236 / 1 , & 236 / 2, and Part P to get yourself working, but there is no substitute for on site working.

Try to get the Jobcentre to set you up with a course, they ARE available, and the best line to tell them is "I could get a job, if I only had....."

Action for employment are able to book courses for you too, give them a try. You should also get a CSCS card, again the JC can help, it's a simple online Health and Safety Test, but you won't get on site without one.....

Look forward to seeing you on site soon.......

CW.

Have to agree and many site agents/managers I know are ex sparks.
Generaly have a bit more savvy than other trades.

Awaits the abuse :p

There are some thick **** electricians out there as well who make you wonder how they get by from day to day and have no real interest in their profession. They are quite willing to keep minimal knowledge in their heads to be able to do the bare minimum - believe me, I've seen them. :evil:

This is very encouraging :) Is the city & guides 236 part 1 & 2 anything to do with "Electrical Electrotechnical Technology C&G 2330 - 01 Level 2", "Electrical Electrotechnical Technology C&G 2330 - 07 Level 3" as that's what's listed on my local collages website. I'd have to do the 17th edition one next right? Then Part P last? Thanks allot :D

You will need to do the equivalent of City and Guilds 236 / 1 , & 236 / 2, and Part P to get yourself working, but there is no substitute for on site working.

Don't worry, he is living in the past. C&G 236 was superceded many years ago. 2330 is current but will be replaced by something even more watered down in the future :rolleyes:

BTW there is NO such thing as a "Part P" qualification.

Excellent :) So where does "Electrical Installation - Level 2" come in, does that have to be done first, then the two c&g, then 17th edition?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back