Help needed ref BCO and notifiable jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To all you qualified sparks out there:
I plan to carry out some work in my house (already on a previous post), simply running 4mm swa cable to the exterior box of a split Air Conditioning unit. Cable will exit from the CU via a 20A mcb on the RCD side of the board, total length of the run is approx 20m. Prior to connection at the ac unit, I will be adding an outdoor isolator switch using appropriate glands etc etc

Aware that I am creating another circuit using the right methods, I do need to contact my BCO. How do you go about doing this?
-Will an inspector pay me a visit and go through what i intend to do, and then pay a visit after the job is complete to tick it off?
-What are the charges for this?
-Will they allow for me to carry out the work seeing that I am not fully qualified just yet and am in pursuit of a career in electrics?
-Would I be better off calling in a qualified sparky at the end of the installation so that he could sign the work off on my behalf?
-And finally, if I wished to apply to join the part p competent persons scheme at a later date where I could freely carry out work in domestic properties, would this work be acknowledged or aid my application in any way?

I am currently studying for the 2381 and am due an exam in a few weeks, I have had knowledge on electrics since the age of 15 and have only recently decided that i want to pursue a career as an electrician. Im really hoping that jobs like these will help me in the future.

SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE ON ALL THIS, PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
If you are doing it yourself. contact your local BCO and make an application to do the work (before u start) you may be able to do this online like here: http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/ccm/nav...lations/online-building-control-applications/
They will advise you an the scale of charges, they differ.

If you DIY it the BCO will inspect the work at various stages but you'll still have to get the work certified or persuade them that you are suitably competent to carry out the work. IMO you aren't, yet.

Most sparks are only allowed to certify their own work and/or are too busy to want to cert work done by others.

If I were you I would use a registered spark and sit with him and learn how its done. Who knows, he might take u on as an apprentice..

TTC

Sponsored Links
It is the BCO's responsibility to make sure that the installation is safe. I just installed Kitchen ring main and cooker cable following the BCO route. The BCO looked at first fix to make sure all wires were in corect zones etc. and the came back after 2nd fix to test. Test results were filled in on BS7671 forms. I had to sign for the design and installation, the BCO signed for test. I will get completion certificate this week. No need to get independent testing. Steve.

PS. Building control charge was £90 but they made a mistake and should have charged £180 (because the testing costs them a lot). I made them stick to the original £90 quoted.

Thanks for the advice Taylortwocities, def helps.

cheers for the above post Steve.

So you had to inform the BOC before starting and then had it checked twice prior to completion.
And what level of competence would you consider yourself to be at, are you like me where you understand the fundamentals and can do the practical but havn't got the right qualifications to back you just yet??
£180 is expensive, you are quite lucky to get away with £90!!

After doing lots of reading, studying websites and many posts on here I considered myself competent enough to do the job. 'Electricians guide to the building regulations' is a good book and also 'Electricians guide to BS7671' also. Actually I'm a degree qualified electronics engineer so I understood the theory of what I was doing pretty well and my only concerns were the actual method of installation which I got lot's of help with from the kind people on here. I only started the job when I thought I had enough knowledge to complete it safely. Did you check that the work is notifiable? My work was notifiable because it was a new circuit in a kitchen. £90 was cheap and I did save myself £100's by doing the work myself as I also fitted a new 12 way split load consumer unit at the same time. Steve.

Cheers Steve,
I like you also have a degree but in software engineering. I work for an IT firm in Berkshire and have been here for 3 years now. What continues to amaze me is the sort of money nowadays sparkies are pulling in. A colleague of mine left education at the age of 20 and opened his own electrical and plumbing company, he is now settled in a 500K property and doing 'very very' well for himself. I think to myself at time, why didn't I do the same. I have always taken interest in electrics. Used to get a buzz out of replacing sockets and light fittings at the age of 14/15! Guess I chose the wrong path by going into IT at uni, but am now trying to re-route myself. IF only it could be easier done than said lol. With all the rules and regs in place now, its so difficult to pursue a career in electrics, guess it just adds to the challenge. Stuff like that i thrive on!!
Im very similar to u, although u prob have far more knowledge taking into account your degree and qualifications.
This form has plenty of helpful people ;) who have always helped me through my domestic struggles here and there lol

wish u the best buddy

from what i can recall, the last quote i rcvd from a spark weakened me at my knees and nearly dropped me to the ground in shock :LOL:
his charges were like £90 p/hour!!!
what sort of hours are you guys pumping in weekly!!

goes on to show why some of these sparks are so minted ey ;)

dynomo said:
What continues to amaze me is the sort of money nowadays sparkies are pulling in

I am 'pulling in' F*ck all.

I work 65 hours a week.

It is not nearly as glamourous and high earning as people seem to think.

Electricians charge 'alot' as we have alot of overheads. Not alot of it ends up in our pockets.

If you think we are expensive, have you employed a solicitor recently?

RF Lighting said:
dynomo said:
What continues to amaze me is the sort of money nowadays sparkies are pulling in

I am 'pulling in' F*ck all.

I work 65 hours a week.

It is not nearly as glamourous and high earning as people seem to think.

Electricians charge 'alot' as we have alot of overheads. Not alot of it ends up in our pockets.

If you think we are expensive, have you employed a solicitor recently?

I work for a JIB firm so I'm far from minted, 70 hours and 1000 miles a week (once a month I'm up your way RF just to test a few emergency lights!) and not much to show except loads of empty Red Bull cans!!

damm, i was meant to say:
its amazing why 'some' sparks are so minted out...
guess some get lucky and others don't.

however, all electricians i have come across so far, have nothing but good to tell me, plus the fact that it is a labour intensive role, so i can only assume then that it is a worthwhile occupation to get into as long as you are fit enough.

saw this in the daily mail the other day:

According to the Daily Mail...
‘The regulations are likely to deliver a
goldmine for qualified electricians. Like
plumbers they could see their earnings
rocket to as much as £70,000 a year’

the word 'could' then has major significance in this statement!! would you not agree?

Yeah, that figure is made up so that so-called training companies can try and justify duping no hopers into the belief that they can become electricians in 4 weeks :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back