OK, I've probably gone mad

2scoops0406

Not sure if this is the correct section, but doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, probably 'cos it's a rather odd idea. Thing is these days I work at home 3 days a week. Due to the kids not being all school age, this forces me to work in the "office" in the garden, some may unsympathetically call it a garden shed. Now its a reasonably big shed 12' x 8' so there's plenty of space inside.

Now at the moment it's fine, I have power and even a broadband connection it's dry and doesn't leak. However come winter time it's gonna be well parky. What I thought about doing was buying a cheap/small woodburing stove in order to take the chill off.

Now apart from the obvious things such as ensuring adequate ventilation (how do I know it's adequate?) and ensuring that the stove sits, and is surrounded by, a non combustible surface (something like aqua board springs to mind). There are a couple of questions.

What would be the best way of putting the flue through a wooden roof, I guess that the flue gets hot, so again, got to ensure that I don't burn the damn thing down,

How would I ensure that there is adequate ventilation / make sure I don't carbon monoxide myself to death.

Perhaps I should just use an electric heater, but then there's no romance in those is there!!

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
What would be the best way of putting the flue through a wooden roof, I guess that the flue gets hot, so again, got to ensure that I don't burn the damn thing down
I have a wood burning cast iron chiminea with flue pipe through the twin wall polycarbonate roofing sheets at the back of my garden :!:

You will need a Twin Wall Insulated stainless steel pipe so the outer pipe doesn't get very hot, then next step is the roof flashing inwhich I was amazed it doesn't get hot at all :!: then you will need a storm collar on top of the roof flashing to make it weather tight plus a roof mesh vent on top. Mine is ICS type but check it's the right one for your need.

I brought mine from here and I gave them a drawing of my layout to find out what I need. I think I paid around £200 but it's well worth it as it's setup for life. They were helpful as some of them don't want to know :confused:

I use my summerhouse every night including the cold winter :!:

I find the wood pallet is ideal for wood burning. Some woods do smell but don't burn any wood that has been treated.

If you need any more help I try & take some picture.

You wont carbon monoxide yourself with a wood burner that really only applies to gas fires, but you will be long done as a smoked kipper if you dont have it working properly

masona said:
Eddie M said:
What would be the best way of putting the flue through a wooden roof, I guess that the flue gets hot, so again, got to ensure that I don't burn the damn thing down
I have a wood burning cast iron chiminea with flue pipe through the twin wall polycarbonate roofing sheets at the back of my garden :!:

You will need a Twin Wall Insulated stainless steel pipe so the outer pipe doesn't get very hot, then next step is the roof flashing inwhich I was amazed it doesn't get hot at all :!: then you will need a storm collar on top of the roof flashing to make it weather tight plus a roof mesh vent on top. Mine is ICS type but check it's the right one for your need.

I brought mine from here and I gave them a drawing of my layout to find out what I need. I think I paid around £200 but it's well worth it as it's setup for life. They were helpful as some of them don't want to know :confused:

I use my summerhouse every night including the cold winter :!:

I find the wood pallet is ideal for wood burning. Some woods do smell but don't burn any wood that has been treated.

If you need any more help I try & take some picture.

That kit looks like top quality gear, looks like the flue is gonna cost more than the stove!!

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could use a normal flue pipe providing it doesn't touch any part of the wooden roof, say about 50mm gap all round with a lip to keep the rain off and maybe a wide strom collar to drip the rain off the gap area. A lot cheaper this way bearing in mind the single flue pipe will be very hot to touch as it's not twin wall insulated flue etc.

I was kind of thinking about a single wall flue for the majority of the run, and then using twin walled for the bit that goes through the roof.

housefirelgnwm165779zf.th.gif

OK, I'll take the plunge, the flue system is gonna cost about £150 :eek:

What I need is a 1 metre flue, a roof doodah, a storm collar, and a vent. OK so I reckon I'll replace the felt at the same time as this is pretty cheap. So, drill hole in said roof, poke flue through said hole, then what? what's the best order to do things? felt down next?? Roofing doodah next, storm collar then vent??

Must confess a bit confused.

Make sure the flue is specified for wood stoves, this is the highest grade available, the first one we had, even though it was stainless got eaten through.

Though not as picturesque, electric heaters are best for a shed IMO. Safe and controllable, and much less maintenance.

Is the shed insulated.

No business conection whatever, came across it when I was putting a boiler in. You can install it without all the discomfort of mineral wool, it doesn't need a gap between the insulation and the roof, it transmits moisture, you can sleep on it, etc, etc. There is a flax material available as well, but that can grow some nasty things in the wrong conditions.

Make a square hole, 2" smaller than the roof flashing size to allow to rest on it. I don't know your layout of the roof, might be best to have 2 joists running parallel like they do if you're putting a loft ladder in if that make sense then 2 short joists for the square hole. If you can, use 3"x2" or 4"x2" would be better so the roof support bracket screw to this frame holding the flue pipe in position underneath. The storm collar fit over the roof flashing to prevent rain inside. I bedded my roof flashing with a high temperature mastic and screw it down with a large round washers with sealant under the washers as well. Nothing to stop you using a flat bar on top of the roof flashing base providing you leave a gap to allow rain drainage. My insulated twin wall stainless steel flue is rated at 700C and I have check the cast iron fire with maximum wood burning and never got higher than 380C and this was using the laser temperature gun.

If you still don't understand get one of these :)
superserf150mh.jpg

If need be I take a photo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back