ok, one for the physicists - can you create energy?

of course energy can be created- e n e r g and y, there you go!

energy is generated from the transfornation of state of an element posessing mass and stored potential energy.
or object in a different form.

Sponsored Links
9.81m·s-²

The force of accelleration of gravity on any given object.

Metres per second squared, in SI notation, not your old fashioned imperial.

m/s²

m·s-²

And indeed, anything at any distance above the earths surface requires more energy to put it there, than would be gained by allowing it to fall back to the surface. ;)

And indeed, anything at any distance above the earths surface requires more energy to put it there, than would be gained by allowing it to fall back to the surface.

If that is the case what happens to the surplus energy required to lift it, where's it gone?
Not doubting what you say, just curious.

atoms do not attract one another.
the electron valiance of any atom dictates attraction to other elemental atoms.
if the right number of electron are on the outer valiance ring then given the correct catalytic conditions, then a compound will be formed

that's the definition of a chemical reaction..
I'm talking about a collection of atoms of the same thing..

otherwise all matter would just disperse into the void of space..
a solid would never be solid and a liquid would never be liquid..

you remove energy from a group of attoms slowing down their movement then the clump together more and more..

Sponsored Links
And indeed, anything at any distance above the earths surface requires more energy to put it there, than would be gained by allowing it to fall back to the surface.

If that is the case what happens to the surplus energy required to lift it, where's it gone?
Not doubting what you say, just curious.

thermal energy of friction..

Indeed, lifting an object, you are accellerating it against the force of gravity, so you have to apply a force equal and opposite to the 9.81m/s² trying to pull it down, as well as a force to actually lift it.

Lowering an object requires zero force, as gravity does the work on the object for you.

This is why you feel out of breath at the top of the stairs, but not at the bottom. ;) You could probably run downstairs all day, but you have to get up them first! :LOL:

Take the lift. :LOL:

Energy canot be created nor destroyed.

An object with a given mass m has potential energy (mgh) where g is the graviational pull of, in our case, the Earth and h is the height at which it currently lies, or kinetic energy 0.5mv^2

Einsteins theories of general relativity also led to the well known equation E=mc^2, which advises how much energy any given mass has.

so if something is traveling at the speed of light squared, does that mean that all of it's mass dissapears?

so if something is traveling at the speed of light squared, does that mean that all of it's mass dissapears?
Only an object with zero (or indeed negative :!: ) mass can travel at the speed of light.

E=mc^2 provides a way of calculating how much energy a mass (in kg) has in joules.

Thus, for example, 1kg has 1 x (3 x 10^8)^2 joules, which is 90000000000000000Joules.

And as we all know, a 1 joule is the amount of energy required to raise 1g of water by 1 degree celcius.

So if you could convert 1kg of something into pure energy, then it would be quite a lot - hence why nuclear explosions are quite potent!

this is the easiest question ever asked, (can you create energy)
the answer is yes if your a god like me did not thy lord Bob in genises the begining, say let there be light and light was created
from the moment of the big bang.
but from then on everything has a price no free energy because time will always be the winner unless you can invent mini little bangs from nothing.

and i am keeping that secret for the highest bidder on ebay.

not your old fashioned imperial.

Just because you are too young to remember/know it! :LOL: :LOL:

Leave us old'uns to good old £sd and pints and quarts with a bit of st and lbs thrown in for good measure! (Imperial measure that is, ;) )

Just as an aside, when you weigh yourself do you think, "My God I'm 'xxx' kg" or do you convert it to stones?

Just as an aside, when you weigh yourself do you think, "My God I'm 'xxx' kg" or do you convert it to stones?
Personally, I tend to think "FFS" in whatever unit of weight I use on the scales - 'cos I'm bilingual like that :LOL: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back