OK phone experts - PLEASE help me work this one out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into 3-year old new build. Master socket in garage and three phone sockets in lounge. Issue is slow broadband (Openreach have tested incoming speed at master socket at 30mb+ but by the time it gets through the house internal wiring to the lounge sockets speed has halved :(

The master socket shows a single pair coming in (orange and white) connected to a pair on a single cat5 cable (blue and white/blue) which then goes off into the house somewhere.

Two of the three lounge sockets then have three pairs connected and the other lounge socket has two cables and six pairs! Why all this?!

So I *think* I need to get rid of all of the cabling and sockets so I can get just the single blue and blue/white from the garage into one socket right? This will give me the best chance of a good connection and therefore best speed?

Opinions/advice hugely appreciated!

Master socket in garage:
IMG_2885.jpg

Lounge socket 1:
IMG_2886.jpg

Lounge socket 2:
IMG_2887.jpg

Lounge socket 3:
IMG_2889.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you have another junction box or socket somewhere that is not pictured. The thing in the garage is a junction box, not the master socket. The master socket is the picture labelled "Lounge socket 3". One of the two cables in "Lounge socket 3" probably comes from the garage and the other probably goes out to the junction box or socket that is not pictured. The other two lounge sockets are likely to be fed from that missing junction box.

I would first disconnect one of the two cables in "Lounge Socket 3". Then check the internet speed at that socket. If there is no internet or phone when you disconnect one of these cables then you picked the wrong one, try the other one. :D

Lounge socket 3 with yellow capacitor is master socket.
You need to find which cat 5 goes directly from junction box in garage to lounge socket and connect phone module with yellow capacitor to that cable.
Leave all other cat5e cables disconnected and check speed of adsl service.

Sponsored Links
Lounge socket 3 with yellow capacitor is master socket.
You need to find which cat 5 goes directly from junction box in garage to lounge socket and connect phone module with yellow capacitor to that cable.
Leave all other cat5e cables disconnected and check speed of adsl service.
Agree with what the others have told you...... BUT if the grey box is only a junction and the first point with telephone sockets is the master, BT Openreach are responsible for testing at the isolated master socket so why are they testing in the Garage saying it is not my problem. If the master socket is downstream, that is their demarcation point...

Agree with what the others have told you...... BUT if the grey box is only a junction and the first point with telephone sockets is the master, BT Openreach are responsible for testing at the isolated master socket so why are they testing in the Garage saying it is not my problem. If the master socket is downstream, that is their demarcation point...

Interesting. He obviously never spotted socket 3 in the lounge and just assumed that there was no master socket :(

Maybe. he / she must know that you can not plug a telephone or modem into that junction box! There is no consumer jacks for a start.

I’m guessing if I have to re-connect strands I only need to worry about the blue and white/blue pair right?

Yes on the grey Cat 6 cable yes. But...... if the master socket is downstream, the normal rules are you should not be touching anything before the master socket. As everything before is BT network.... Those 2x gel connectors are common BT use in the junction box.

Normally the connections up to the master socket are BT openreach. The "extensions" on a master socket are your problem. BT have to test, prove and resolve faults including below threshold speeds at the master socket. Do some googling, you'll see what I mean.

GET IN!!

Thanks everyone - you’ve just pretty much doubled my broadband speed!

(I know it’s still rubbish but it’s good for rural Wales!)

0A221C7A-C40B-4D81-9CB5-A8F13A3A48F4.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back