Ok, so I finally get to see my new flat for the first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And the flooring isn't bare new concrete as I was told it would be, but has been layed with what looks like a waterproof chipboard (resin/plastic look to it).

So, do I need to put an underlay down before laying a solid wood or enginnered wood floor or can it go straight down ontop of it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes if you don't want to end up with the proper real stuff sounding like melamine plastic.
You can use foam underlayment (3mm thick)

WoodYouLike said:
Yes if you don't want to end up with the proper real stuff sounding like melamine plastic.
You can use foam underlayment (3mm thick)

When you say "proper real stuff" do you mean just the solid wood or both types?

And I take that I don't need to put a DPM down now as well?

Cheers.

Both types my friend. Wood-engineered is also proper stuff (depending on the quality of course), sometimes even better than solid ;)

Don't use a DPM on underfloors made of sheet materials

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Both types my friend. Wood-engineered is also proper stuff (depending on the quality of course), sometimes even better than solid ;)

Don't use a DPM on underfloors made of sheet materials

Cheers, you've been a great help! :D

Just a quick one....

You say this is in a Flat?

I asume on a leeshold Purchase....

You may want to check the T&C`s before fited hardwood floors.... Theres been one or two issues with noise caused by hardwood / laminate flooring used in Flats gone through court recently, and all ended with the owner either having Leeshold cancelled, or made to replace flooring.

Just pointing this one out, incase you didnt know..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back