OK to downrate CCU fuse to meet oven specs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a new electric oven (AEG B2100-4). The rating on the oven itself is 3.0kw, which by my calculations would draw about 13A.

The manual specifies connection via: "Cooker Control Circuit, 2.5mm2 PVC T&E, fuse - min:15A max:20A". It also says "It is necessary that you install a double pole swtich between the oven and the electrical supply with a minimum gap of 3mm between the switch contacts"

I plan to use this switch which although being overkill on the current rating, is the neatest Logic Plus switch with a 3mm gap that I can find.

What worries me a little is the fuse specification. The oven is to be installed on the cooker radial, which currently has a 30A fuse in the CCU. To meet with the manual's "15-20A" requirement, I guess this involves using a lower rated fuse in the CCU. The radial also feeds the cooker hood (through a 5A fuse) and the hob ignition (through a 3A fuse). So I guess I would like reassurance that replacing the 30A CCU fuse with a 20A will be a safe and compliant way to protect this circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
An alternative method would be to fit a Fused Switched Connection Unit. this is the same size but incorporates a 13A fuse cartridge.

K1060D1W.JPG

Yet another alternative would be to replace the cooker connector block with an unswitched socket, and connect the oven using a flexible cord and a 13A fused plug.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'd originally had in mind using a 13A plug, and had in fact expected the oven to come with one. However, does the 3.0kw rating mean that I shouldn't use a standard plug? The manual does after all specify a minimum 15A fuse. Or is this not strictly necessary?

15A fuse (or MCB) assumes it is fed on a Radial Circuit (not a fused plug). Most people in foreign countries do not have the benefit of our wonderful 13A plug system.

A 13A fuse is ample for a 3kW appliance (3,000 watts divided by 240 volts is 12.5 Amps)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I shall go the 13A plug route, and if the fuse blows at any point I can think again. :)

JohnD said:
connect the oven using a flexible cord and a 13A fused plug.

One final question: is there a specific kind of flex I should use? Does it need to be heatproof, etc?

tomsavage said:
JohnD said:
connect the oven using a flexible cord and a 13A fused plug.

One final question: is there a specific kind of flex I should use? Does it need to be heatproof, etc?

You ought to use a 2.5mm^2 flex. You can get this at a proper electrical supplier, not usually a diy shed. Commonly used for immersion heaters.

why 2.5mm² flex?

1.5mm² is rated at 16A.

More than enough for a 3kW oven.

It should say in the manual what cable spec is.

See Wiki for decoder.

Sorry to post another question, but...

If I am now going to use a 13A plug to connect the oven, then presumably I don't need to use the hefty 32A switch that I mentioned earlier:

K5105WHI.JPG

...and can instead use a 20A DP switch such as this:

K5423WHI.JPG

...even though the oven manual actually specifies a switch with a 3mm contact gap. Surely if it's on a 13A plug then this is pointless? Or am I missing something?

The 20A DP switch will have a 3mm seperation gap, but as you have a plugtop which can be removed this is not really an issue anymore.

RF Lighting said:
The 20A DP switch will have a 3mm seperation gap, but as you have a plugtop which can be removed this is not really an issue anymore.

Assuming it is accessible to pull out!! :LOL:

IMO it is best practice to have a DP switch above the worktop, feeding the 13A unswitched socket below.

In the event of a fault, or a fat fire, or for servicing, you need the switch to be readily accessible and in plain view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back