Ok to plug Laser Printer into Switched Fused socket with Freezer?

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Hope you can help me with this one.

Moved a Laser Printer to the utility room without thinking about sockets :rolleyes:. Nearest socket is wired into fused switch socket for a freezer.

Can I plug in an adaptor and safely have the freezer and printer both plugged into that?
Might the freezer switching on and off mean the printer needs surge protection?

beko fxf553w undercounter freezer - only wattage I can see is 226 kWh/year annual energy consumption

Laser Printer Xerox C15 - spec says
1672248637497.png

Here's the socket with freezer plugged in.
1672250193399.png

Many thanks!

Mary

Sponsored Links
Can I plug in an adaptor and safely have the freezer and printer both plugged into that?
Yes, power consumption of both is far less than the 13A maximum.

Might the freezer switching on and off mean the printer needs surge protection
Very likely, but that was the case before you moved it. Surges don't stay local to the device which creates them, they are distributed throughout the building and even into other buildings nearby.

• Thanks
Reactions: Min
Thank you so much!!
That's made my evening a lot easier!

One wonders what the purpose is of the FCU is. Your freezer plug has a fuse after all.

I would remove both the FCU and socket and replace with a double socket.

Sponsored Links
One wonders what the purpose is of the FCU is. Your freezer plug has a fuse after all.

I would remove both the FCU and socket and replace with a double socket.
Please don't give advice when you don't know what's happening.
Unless I've missed something
We don't know why the FCU is there.
We don't now if it feeds something else,
We don't know if it's from a spur feeding this socket and another (or more) elsewhere.

Recommending it's removal is a very irresponsible thing to do without establishing actually what is here.

Agreed that the best way would be to replace the single socket with a double. The op does state that the pic shows the freezer plugged in so the fcu must be feeding something else, there is a cable exiting to the right. Hopefully the fcu is fed from the socket rather than the socket is fed from the fcu.

Agreed that the best way would be to replace the single socket with a double. The op does state that the pic shows the freezer plugged in so the fcu must be feeding something else, there is a cable exiting to the right. Hopefully the fcu is fed from the socket rather than the socket is fed from the fcu.
Quite honestly I don't know what OP is saying and where conclusions are being derived from.

All I can deduce is:
There is a FCU,
There is a single socket,

I don't have a clue if:
They are connected together,
The socket is a spur off the FCU
The FCU is a spur off the socket
The socket is on the load side of the FCU
Either or both of these are part of a ring or radial power circuit
Either or both of these are part of a lighting circuit or any other designated circuit
OP will return.

AFAIC this thread has come to a conclusion unless op returns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back