Ok to replace fused switches with sockets on Eco 7 circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings everyone, my first post! (please forgive any mistakes in posting rules!) :)

Currently working on my old man's flat (electric only, no gas), have had conflicting opinions from sparks whether the following can be done:

Is it possible/ok to replace switched fused connection units on economy 7 circuit with double sockets?

They're currently directly supplying 2 x storage heaters and 1 x wall-mounted fan heater (all in different rooms, but connected to the same economy 7 circuit)

(the thinking behind it is to put plugs on the cables to the heaters and then plug them into one of the new double sockets leaving the other socket free so that e.g. in case my old man wants to plug in an oil-filled radiator set to thermostat overnight, and still get the benefit of the eco 7 rate)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
in theory yes
however if the manufactures specify a double pole isolater with a 3mm contact gap then no..

You could sink a 'dual' back-box and have the present SFCU with a single socket next to it.

However, the circuit probably has a 15A fuse/16A mcb which would be overloaded.

Sponsored Links
Not really no (well maybe on the 1 x wall-mounted fan heater )

1) Most storage heaters draw too much to have a 13A plug on them
2) The Fuse/MCB will be 16A so will be overloaded circuit/cable with two heaters
3) Double sockets are generally not designed to have 2x13A loads.

Portable heaters should not be connected to timed circuits, as switching portable heaters on when no one is there can cause a fire.
Although that is not too likely with an oil filled radiator, there is nothing to stop other heaters and anything else being plugged in at a later date.

Somewhat implausible that a fan heater would be on an E7 circuit, and if it is, could be dangerous for the same reason as the portable ones.

Storage heaters should be connected via 20A switches, not 13A FCUs and certainly not a plug and socket arrangement.

Thanks all for your differing replies! :)

Although I'm still not 100% clear, flameport you seem to be right on the money -

yes it would seem that the 2 x storage heaters are on 20a switches, and that the 1 x wall-mounted 'fan heater' is not actually on the eco 7 ring as it switches on during the day.

- is the definitive conclusion then that regs don't allow sockets on eco 7 rings?

My main reasoning was to enable my old man to have as much heat as needed in its most economical form, so that in the particularly cold winters we've been having he wouldn't scrimp in thinking he would be creating wastefully high heating bills.

So in an attempt to get the most economical solution, options now seem to me to be:

- to use an oil-filled portable radiator (e.g. 3kw with thermostat) connected to the non-eco 7 mains for overnight use

- to use the current wall-mounted convector fan heater overnight with thermostat (although this seems to me very inefficient and expensive for use overnight)

- upgrade the current convector fan heater to something else, does anyone know what would be the most efficient and economical option?

Cheers all :)

If the existing storage heaters are not enough, then they are either defective (one or more elements failed), or you need more of them.

Although storage heaters are expensive to buy new, you can often find people virtually giving them away, provided you are willing to collect them.
Just make sure the bricks were taken out before the heater was moved.

Thanks flameport, the flat is small and is 1 bedroom.

there's 1 x storage heater in the hall, 1 x storage heater in the living room, and the 1 x convector fan heater is in the bedroom (this is the one I'm most concerned about being expensive).

That's a great tip about getting second-hand storage heaters which I'll definitely look into, cheers

I don't have any experience with storage heaters so I'm not completely sure they're the best solution - do they take long to start outputting heat from completely cold? - my old man says it's wasteful to keep them on all the time especially as often he won't be in the flat during the day

I don't have any experience with storage heaters so I'm not completely sure they're the best solution - do they take long to start outputting heat from completely cold? - my old man says it's wasteful to keep them on all the time especially as often he won't be in the flat during the day

Is he using them correctly? I.e. leaving them switched on at the wall, making sure the input/charge control is set according to the weather, making sure the output control is set to Min before bedtime and opening it gradually throughout the day so the stored heat lasts?

I would expect in the T&C's for the E7 service, it states you are not permitted to connect any device other than approved ones to the E7 supply.

So anything other than a storage heater or a water heater would not be permitted.

1) Most storage heaters draw too much to have a 13A plug on them
They come in a number of sizes, many of which are < 3kW

2) The Fuse/MCB will be 16A so will be overloaded circuit/cable with two heaters
The cable can't be overloaded. (Assuming the circuit has been done properly).

3) Double sockets are generally not designed to have 2x13A loads.
True.

I would expect in the T&C's for the E7 service, it states you are not permitted to connect any device other than approved ones to the E7 supply.

So anything other than a storage heater or a water heater would not be permitted.
Can that be so?

Can that be so?

Sorry my mistake, I was getting mixed up with Comfort Heat tariff (Known as Economy 8 in some areas?).

My error!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back