ok to use these slate tiles on the wall?

Sponsored Links
As it does not give the thickness its hard to tell what the weight per sq meter will be, your wall construction will determine what weight it will take.

The surface on this type of slate is heavily riven and will tend to collect all the soap/oils etc in the shower and be a pain to keep clean even if the slate is well sealed in advance.

Jason

thanks Jason

it is in a 'new build' if you like. (see my other post above this one). One wall is going to be a stud wall, one wall is an external wall which will be sand/cemented then plastered.

I would guess they would be 12mm thickness, but would check. In you opinion would plasterboard that has been tanked be ok to support the weight, and likewise a newly plastered and tanked solid wall.

I quite like the rough texture of the tiles, but see your point. Will have a think about it.

Sponsored Links
Just get the solid wall rendered not skimmed with plasterer. Whatever surface you use the tanking will limit the max weight to 32kg/m2 and that includes the adhesive which will more than likely have to be quite thick if the backs of the tiles are split rather than machine cut .

At 12mm thick they will come in at around 24kg/m2 and if using a thickbed/solidbed trowel you will get about 3m2 from a 25kg bag so thats another 8kg which brings you out at 32kg/m2 right on the limit.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back