OLD BOILER CONDEMNED,WHAT OPTIONS PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically we had an inspection on the boiler last friday to gain a gas certificate as we going to rent the property out,the boiler has been capped off as unsafe.the plumber told us we need to replace with a combi? seems excessive as its only the boiler that gone wrong,so why replace the whole system,can we just replace the old boiler with a new condensing type boiler but not a combi?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
straight away he is lying when he says you need to replace it with a combi, this is nonsense, of course you can just change the boiler for a condensing boiler, if you are not happy with his opinion, get another gas installer in for a second opinion.

straight away he is lying when he says you need to replace it with a combi, this is nonsense, of course you can just change the boiler for a condensing boiler, if you are not happy with his opinion, get another gas installer in for a second opinion.......

ok thanks,can you tell me if i can therefore make a like for like replacement,with a condensing type,would you recommend a boiler,cost is fairly important,only a small 3 bed semi.

I would suggest you get three quotes from qualified reputable installers and pick the one you are most happy with, don't just pick the cheapest one, this is often a false economy, could cost you more in the long run.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you get quotes for specific boiler, specific materials etc, so you get to see what each person is charging for the job without variables.

Will be difficuult but that is what I would do.

Definately, you need to know what boiler each installer is quoting for, then look the boiler up on the manufacturers web site so you can make an informed decision, every installer has their own preference, so asking on here what are the best boilers, you will get multiple answers.

Something like a Worcester 12Ri or a 15Ri would usually be suitable for a semi.

You have not said what the current boiler is and whats wrong with it.

It sounds as if the "plumber" is looking for work.

To replace with a 12Ri about £1500 and to replace with a 24 kW combi about £2000, see the difference?

Extras like new cylinders and fitting TRVs will increase the costs.

Tony

The man has probably looked at the system and assessed that a combi is the best route. The cylinder may only have year left and the same for the controls. Replacing it with a straight swap boiler does not replace the older parts of the system giving more cost in a year or two. It is best it is all sorted now modernising the whole system.

If it is a one bathroom house then I would go for a good flowrate combi. The Remeha Avantaplus has high rating on this forum beinga quality appliance and the biggest they have is the 39C combi. Do a search on Broag, 39C, avantaplus and much will come up.

Remeha have just bought Baxi, so the Baxi Heat Team will do the servicing soon when they get it all in place. Or course the mains needs pressure and flow for a combi to work and the showers are world away from a gravity cold tank or power shower pump.

The problem with Combi's is flow rate, you need to check the pressure and flow rate of your incoming mains, there is no good going for a high flow rate boiler if your incoming main is not up to it, you can't get more out than you put in.

The problem with Combi's is flow rate, you need to check the pressure and flow rate of your incoming mains, there is no good going for a high flow rate boiler if your incoming main is not up to it, you can't get more out than you put in.

The problem with modern combis is not DHW flowrate. There are a number of two bathroom combi appliances around. As you noted it is the cold supply main that is the ultimate decider. I have found that the mains, where borderline, can be improved with a simple full bore maintap and 22mm pipe right to the combi. A tee at the maintap and all the cold, except the shower cold which should be taken from just before the cold inlet of the combi. Just remove the restrictions and the water flows easier inside the house.

Why has no-one asked why it was turned off? A repair might be the job and a lot cheaper than a replacement. He would've had to give you a specific reason for the ID situation, what does it say on the warning notice?

Some of the more important questions before talking about the new boiler:
Make and model and age of current boiler.
Age and size of cylinder
Size and length of gaspipe feeding current boiler.
Reason why it was condemned.
How many bathrooms.
What is budget to sort the problem out.

Why has no-one asked why it was turned off? A repair might be the job and a lot cheaper than a replacement. He would've had to give you a specific reason for the ID situation, what does it say on the warning notice?

That is why I said to get another gas installer in for a second opinion

I think that I did !

You have not said what the current boiler is and whats wrong with it.

Tony

Sorry Tony, guilty of post skimming!

I was called out to a Housewarmer recently to do a second opinion for a letting agency, it had been turned off because the first gas fitter got a burner pressure of 19.5 on the firefront instead of 19.2!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back