old boiler - high gas bills - help? :(

her gas bills will be lower if she has her system properly cleaned and a new condensing combi fitted.

saunier duval are to put it mildly, carp.

to compare the bills a bit more accurately you could compare her unit use rather than cost as well as thia will allow you to compare boiler use year to year.

i recommend worcester bosch.

whats a good ball park figure for install of a BOSCH - all done in a day?

i tell you why... she's gone ahead and got 3 quotes and cheapest was £2,700 and she paying that out of her own pocket aswell

she has just gone ahead and ordered it etc without even consulting me - she may have got it for free under the warmfront scheme

Sponsored Links
tell her to cancel it if possible as it will be very hard to find a good installer willing to install a boiler bought by someone else.
Second reason is that the installer does not have to solve any warrantee problems.

tell her to cancel it if possible as it will be very hard to find a good installer willing to install a boiler bought by someone else.
Second reason is that the installer does not have to solve any warrantee problems.

that IS with the installtion from a corgi engineer - she got 3 quotes and that was cheapest , £2.700 including boiler and install etc... take 1 day he says - so she's ordered the lot

is that a good price?

If he can clean the system, change the valves, install new controls, AND change the boiler in 1 day, he is either extremely good, or more likely, he is cutting corners.
You can get a bosch from about £700 which means he makes about 200 quid an hour.
Personally, I think somebody is being ripped off here.
High end bosch with digital controls and all singing and dancing is about £1300, but I have got a feeling she gets a 28i or a junior; the cowboys' favourite.
As she has currently a 23 kw boiler, which most likely already suffers from lack of gas, it is virtually sure the new boiler needs a new gassupply as well.
All in one day? :eek:

Sponsored Links
sorry it was a day to install and a day to comission it....

how does that sound? i dunno the exact make of the BOSCH boiler

A day to commission it?
Sounds like bs to me, and I don’t mean British Standards; he makes it up as he goes along.
W-B come preset from the factory, wet tested and all, stick them on the jig, plug in and play.
I only install W-B and never had one that needed any tuning. I use Bosch wireless programmable roomstats (siemens rev 24) with them and same there; plug in and work, preset so it is close enough for most people. If you use standard mechanical clock, it is even easier.

A day to commission it?
Sounds like bs to me, and I don’t mean British Standards; he makes it up as he goes along.
W-B come preset from the factory, wet tested and all, stick them on the jig, plug in and play.
I only install W-B and never had one that needed any tuning. I use Bosch wireless programmable roomstats (siemens rev 24) with them and same there; plug in and work, preset so it is close enough for most people. If you use standard mechanical clock, it is even easier.

So whats your honest opinion? she's been ripped off?

your obviously a corgi reg installer yourself then... as soon as my dad told me £2700 i knew straight away it was over the odds and i dont even know the costs - AND it was the cheapest of THREE QUOTES

what should I advise?

Same answer as always; find a good installer, should be more or less local chap and smallish company who have done work for people you know.
It is not so much the price that is wrong, it is the one day to do the job that makes it impossible.
Last boiler I changed came actually to more than 2700, but included flushing system, complete new gaspipe, new stop cock, conversion from open vent to sealed, conversion from cylinder to combi, new valves and new controls.
Took a lot more than a day to do that.
Straight combi for combi swap should be decidedly less money though.

Same answer as always; find a good installer, should be more or less local chap and smallish company who have done work for people you know.
It is not so much the price that is wrong, it is the one day to do the job that makes it impossible.
Last boiler I changed came actually to more than 2700, but included flushing system, complete new gaspipe, new stop cock, conversion from open vent to sealed, conversion from cylinder to combi, new valves and new controls.
Took a lot more than a day to do that.
Straight combi for combi swap should be decidedly less money though.

this guy IS local and was recommended by people she knows and its TWO days to do the job not ONE

one day to install
one day to commision

TWO DAYS....

does this sound ok?

ive gone and told em its a rip off now hehe

...also , if you say 1 day = £200 per hour THEN 2 days = £100 per hour -

is that what you gas fitters charge???? - sounds a bit much in my book , should be £100 per day not per hour... I mean £900 a day in wages? thats £250,000 a year - you guys must have lots of good holidays

UPDATE: its a (Bosch) Chesterton..

2 days to install

local corgi registered

recommended

£2700

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back