Old brick shed close to boundary into office?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a brick shed approximately 12 square metres at the bottom of our garden - it was there when we moved in 11 years ago. It's very close to the back fence boundary - much less than a metre. It's in quite good condition and we would like to adapt it to make a home office and gym. To do this we will need to extend it. My question is how big can we make it if it is so close to the boundary without running into trouble with planning etc? It's less than 2.5m highland takes up much less than 50% of the garden - probably about 10%. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I was listening to a radio programme at lunchtime that dealt with this matter an expert reckoned you did not need planning approval to build just building regs.. But it was worth getting some sort fo form from the council to confirm everything had been done properly in the event you come to sell your home. Apparently he has a youtube channel explaining everything to do with home offices in the garden, might be worth searching there.

Last time I spoke the building department at the council... if it's an outbuilding, and not attached to the house, you can do a lot of things to it without any permission... as long as it's under 30 sq m.

Give them a bell and they will confirm what you can and can't do.

Sponsored Links
Speak to your neighbours about what you want to do, if they have no issues and your not taking the mick with how much your extending and you do it properly get on doing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back