Old Central Heating Where is the filling loop?

Yes, although note the water contained within the heating system is maintained separately from that which comes from the taps. There will also be another motorised valve somewhere that controls the flow from the boiler to the radiators.

The cold feed you've marked may well supply the bathroom cold taps. The only thing I would add is, that would not be suitable drinking water if fed from the loft cistern. Drinking water should only be taken from the mains supply, usually the kitchen tap.

Sponsored Links
Next up and before the 1st question. Are the below correct fro the boiler end?

Boiler Bottom Mark Up.jpg
Boiler Top Marked Up.jpg

The boiler trips out every few days which i thought may have been a result of low/drop in pressure in the central heating but i guess not if it tops itself up.

How do you mean it trips out? Is it tripping your electrics?

Sponsored Links
yes, is the boiler in a basement ?

Boiler is in the garage. If the descriptions as marked are now correct. Why does the feed from the boiler split into 2 runs just before it punches through the garage roof into the house? Is this controlled to serve the Heating/rads and hot water supply to the cylinder separately?

Boiler is in the garage. If the descriptions as marked are now correct. Why does the feed from the boiler split into 2 runs just before it punches through the garage roof into the house? Is this controlled to serve the Heating/rads and hot water supply to the cylinder separately?
I dont think so as both the heating and the rads need pumped water, I think the two pipes to the left going up through the ceiling are the Feed (15mm pipe) and the expansion (22mm), but I am just guessing as I cant see everything

I think the two pipes to the left going up through the ceiling are the Feed (15mm pipe) and the expansion (22mm), but I am just guessing as I cant see everything

That would make sense as the F&E tank that i believe to be linked to the heating is directly above those pipes in the loft. Now i have a good idea of the purpose for each pipe i will have a better look round tomorrow and try and trace everything to see if it stacks up. Then i will have a correct set of images with the pipes correctly marked to ask a few questions from.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be back after having a further look around. Much appreciated.

when your boiler stops working post a video of the light sequence on the front of the boiler before you press the reset button

that would not be suitable drinking water if fed from the loft.

Whilst I wouldn't usually disagree with anything that hugh comments on as he is a vast wealth of knowledge (;)), I have to in this case.

Any water fed from a Cold Water Storage Cistern (CWSC), when designed and stored properly and inspected regularly, is actually classified as wholesome therefore it should be safe to drink.
Unfortunately, most cisterns aren't looked after properly. It's a rarely highlighted problem that is very relevant these days as there are lots of houses that have their CWSC feeding their bathrooms and a lot will use the cold water at the basin to brush their teeth, get drinks at night etc.

Rob, Having been told about 'things' that have been found in CWS cisterns by my Boss when I was a mere lad, learning the job, I have never felt the same way about water from bathroom taps since.

His story was of a customer who had an Aqualisa shower, fed on 22mm supplies, that he'd fitted sometime previously. She rang up one day and left a message on his answerphone to say her shower wasn't working. He said he was a bit bemused as to why, so went round to look. Soon realised the issue when he found a dead cat decomposing in the cistern....

Quite agree with you Hugh, I must admit I found a fair few nasty things in them too in the past, weirdest thing though was a 9" Black Mamba and no it wasn't a snake, that took some explaining when I handed it to the lady of the house. :LOL:

I'm am always banging onto customers who have them that it's so important to look after them, ensure they are properly fitted and like everything else have them looked at, at least once a year.

Have now traced the pipework through the house and understand the runs a bit more.

Is there anyway to identify a fault. There is no light or display screen on the boiler.

What is the fault? If you're going back to boiler tripping the electrics, then that could be several things, not necessarily the boiler. With your type of system, there is a path for the electrical current to go through to operate the system, so could be pump, motorised valve etc, not necessarily the boiler.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Remove the insulation from the pipework above the boiler....that's an odd layout for the safety vent and feed pipe.
That boiler is a dog...it has the old Barcelona heat exchanger and every boiler it's been in has been problematic.
They are a pain to service properly and require regular attention (seals burn through etc).
The diagnostic lights are towards the lower right hand side.

It doesnt trip the electrics, the boiler just doesnt kick in in the mornings sometimes (normally when its cold). You have to go down and push the reset button to get it to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back