Old Central Heating Where is the filling loop?

Remove the insulation from the pipework above the boiler....that's an odd layout for the safety vent and feed pipe.
That boiler is a dog...it has the old Barcelona heat exchanger and every boiler it's been in has been problematic.
They are a pain to service properly and require regular attention (seals burn through etc).
The diagnostic lights are towards the lower right hand side.

I have been told it is a useless bit of kit so will be changed in the summer when we replumb. I will have a look for the fault lights as i hadnt seen any before.

Sponsored Links
I have been told it is a useless bit of kit so will be changed in the summer when we replumb. I will have a look for the fault lights as i hadnt seen any before.

If you're changing it in the summer then don't waste any money on it. Keep using the reset button (unless it dies completely and you need CH).
Check that the immersion heater on your cylinder works, so that you have back up hot water.
It will get warmer towards summer so less need for CH if you can limp along.
And, as said above, that feed and vent pipe arrangement is poorly designed and needs addressing on future work to the system if you're keeping it open vented when new boiler goes in.

There should also be a pipe thermostat fitted to the return pipework near the boiler.
Where is the heating zone valve?
Where is the bypass valve (needed for the frost protection)?

There should also be a pipe thermostat fitted to the return pipework near the boiler.
Where is the heating zone valve?
Where is the bypass valve (needed for the frost protection)?

There is a stat connected to it and a couple of valves. What does the stat do out of interest?

I cant see any fault lights on the unit. There is literally a viewing hole and a reset button on the boiler. That is it!

The problem is i am getting it in the ear about having to reset it each morning. I would happily hang it out until it gets replaced but this may not be possible if i want to stay alive.

Sponsored Links
Lower the grey flap that has Potterton Precision written on it and post a pic what is on the facia behind that

The pipe stat is in series with frost stat and turns off the boiler once the return water temperature is say 30 degrees.
Turn off the power and remove the boiler OUTER cover only....there's a couple of screws on the front AFAIR.
You will see the diagnostic lights on the plastic module on the lower right hand side.
Do not touch any other covers.

Boiler Cover 2.jpg
Boiler Cover.jpg

my apologies as @Gasguru correctly advises you remove the two screws on the front of the plate with the reset button on and the fault lights are behind that , total shoite design I agree

Uncovered the lights and this morning when we woke up to a cold house and no hot water the lights weer showing as below;
Left light (No flame) Flashing red
Middle light (Flame) no light
Right light (power) solid green

Why on earth are these lights hidden behind panel?

Fault Light.jpg

That sequence means that the overheat thermostat has operated, you will need an engineer, can be faulty thermistor, faulty O/H thermostat, faulty case seal or PCB faulty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back