Old chimney stack to outrigger (Damp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads. I normally reside in the combustion chamber, but have a building question.

This is a terraced house over a 100 years old with a joined chimney stack at the back of the outrigger. The chimney was bricked up years ago a d since then the end run of kitchen units butted up to it.

About 5 years ago I took the units out, removed the plaster, injected the cream damp course, (Name of it escapes me). Then cement rendered it with a skim coat. I treated the bare bricks with a waterproofing too.

So the damp is back, although nowhere near as bad. My question is can an air brick fitted to the outside going right into the chimney prevent the damp?
I know it should have been fitted to the inside, but hey ho. I didn’t fit the kitchen, just trying to get this right before it gets rented out.

Thanks I’m advance.

3C11F192-43F2-4BD9-9D78-9CAA076E0A0B.jpeg
565000EB-9384-4E13-B421-92E74A64BF46.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Can’t really see the top section,but the 1st photo of ground floor looks like either rising damp ar transference from the adjoining wall (or is that the outrigger - not heard of one).

The stack is shared, so can’t be taken down. It should have an internal air brick, but some silly sod bitted the kitchen up to it.

I’m thinking that it’s worth capping the pot with a vented cowl. I think the bad pointing on the chimney is causing water ingress too. Maybe the flaunching is bad too.

Sponsored Links
Well it might be a shared stack but like you they may have given up using it 10yrs ago.

I've had an old house, and I found that taking down the chimney, and roofing over it, was expensive but saved future maintenance and potential damp. In my case the flues were taken down into the loft and left open, which keeps them ventilated, though a few torches and other tools fell down inside over the years.

It is best to open the fireplace and shovel out the builders rubble and soot, which hold damp. That might also be the source of your damp patch. Can you take out a brick, have a look, rake it out?

Is that an old drain or gulley I see?
Probably broken and leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back