Old Colour cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are quite a few past thread on this, noticeably also some monster-long ones, however while I haven't read all of all of them what does baffle me is where is this cable coming from!

Not at all surprised to find some lingering on for a while, but there still appears to be plenty available 'on the bay' at about £100 for 100m roll or £1.50/m which while more than new colour from tlc or similar still isn't stupid prices, which suggesting they're not worried about running out any time soon.

I can see why people would use it, just not why there is still new 'old stock' cable still left!

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Theres nothing to stop you using whatever colours you want this side of the plug socket and if you're an electrical engineer designing your own stuff you may like to use pink and orange cabling with white earth and while it'll confuse anyone else it doesn't matter and since its ebay they'll be selling to the world really and theres bound to be a place where that cable is in use

..isn't stupid prices, which suggesting they're not worried about running out any time soon.
Or they can't shift it.
Yes, I suspect that may be the case. A year or so ago, someone I know made one of those 'suppliers' an offer which was virtually the same as current cable prices - and they accepted the offer!

I'm a little surprised not to also be seeing people trying to sell 2004-marked harmonised colours cable!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
£100 for 100m of what cable?
What is CSA of it and what is the quality of it?
Why would you really want to use old red/black colours?
I could understand it, if you were a little anal and wanted to keep an existing installation all the same core colours, but I would personally stick the warning notice on, and be happy with brown/blue!

£100 for 100m of what cable?
What is CSA of it and what is the quality of it?
CSA for CSA it's usually at least double the cost of new harmonised colours cable.
Why would you really want to use old red/black colours?
Well, we know the reason why some people buy it - but if they're using a lot of cable, it would probably be cheaper for them to use modern cable and pay the LABC fee :)

Kind Regards, John

Or they can't shift it.
True. Hadnt thought about that.

As said, I can see where its used, but I guess thats not a huge volume and if they had too much stock at the point of change, and or stock pilled it, they could be having issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back