Anyone interested in old colour cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brand new 100m drum of old colour cable.

Ebay sell a 50m drum for this price, or by the meter at £1.50 (so you could make £150 or over if you decide to sell on by the meter)

Ideal if youre doing any electrical alterations or work at home as its the old colours and no one would ever know!!!

Very rare to get any of this type cable these days and you just cant buy this coloured cable in any shops or wholesalers anymore!!

Sponsored Links
Brand new 100m drum of old colour cable.

Ebay sell a 50m drum for this price, or by the meter at £1.50 (so you could make £150 or over if you decide to sell on by the meter)
Why don't you do that then?

Ideal if youre doing any electrical alterations or work at home as its the old colours and no one would ever know!!!
You can just as easily lie and turn your house sale into a case of serious fraud if you use harmonised cable, as it's been around for 11 years.

I thought new colours on TE had been around since 2004, so that's 7 years not 11.

Since harmonised was introduced pre part P someone could still fib about the work being done pre part P.

A spoke in such fibbing is the introduction of manufacture date of make stamping on fittings.

Sponsored Links
I thought new colours on TE had been around since 2004, so that's 7 years not 11.
Yes, it is - I must have got distracted - I had the figures "4" and "11" and "7" in my head, and wrote down the wrong one.... :oops:

Since harmonised was introduced pre part P someone could still fib about the work being done pre part P.
Exactly.

A far better thing to do if you have NOS pre-harmonisation cable available in good condition is to just use it to alter and extend old installations, as the law requires you to do.

A far better thing to do if you have NOS pre-harmonisation cable available in good condition is to just use it to alter and extend old installations, as the law requires you to do.

So that 100m drum I have of FP200 pre harmonised can't be used for a new circuit at the end of my garden?

It's still in a celophane wrap, I could sleeve it :D

I didn't say it couldn't be used.

What I said was that if you have got some NOS pre-harmonisation cable available in good condition the best thing to do is to just use it to alter and extend old installations, as the law requires you to do.

In your case, if your installation is in old colours then the law requires you to not sleeve it, and list it as a departure on the EIC.

I agree that using it for modifications to an existing installation to keep everything matched up is a good, sensible idea, but which law do you believe requires you to do that?

A spoke in such fibbing is the introduction of manufacture date of make stamping on fittings.
Ah, but the fittings have been replaced since - which is permissible under Part P Sched 4. Easy answer there. In fact every component of a circuit (apart from the CU itself) could have been replaced over the years ;)

That actually isn't far from the truth in our house - there's little left of the wiring that was in when we moved in 26 years ago - which is a good job as it was previously owned by an enthusiastic BIYer. Luckily all the additions were completed before Part P came in.

Not quite. You can use H cable and pretend it was done in 2004, but a lot of T&E is dated. Some of mine has 2006 stamped all over it...

Some of mine has 2006 stamped all over it...

So you accidentally damaged the original cable while nailing down a floorboard, putting up shelves, boarding the attic floor, or whatever is appropriate for the location, and had to replace the damaged cable. ;)

I agree that using it for modifications to an existing installation to keep everything matched up is a good, sensible idea, but which law do you believe requires you to do that?
The Building Regulations, specifically P1.

It is a perfectly reasonable analysis that a requirement to add a specific Warning notice alerting people to a situation requiring Caution and the taking of Great Care indicates that the situation represents an elevated degree of danger or risk compared to the situation not existing

So introducing mixed colours to an installation where none were there before has increased the dangers or risks associated with working on that installation in the future.

You will, BTW, find many posts from professional electricians dating from around the time that the colours changed which predicted increased casualties because of the confusion of black changing from neutral to line.

So we have the IET saying that mixed colours are more dangerous than non-mixed, and we have a belief amongst practicing electricians that the change was deleterious.

So, if you can reasonably avoid doing that, i.e. if you have old-colour cable in new condition available to you, then "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury" means that you must use it.

I agree entirely that the adoption of the new scheme introduced the potential for confusion with both blue and black "changing places," and BS7671 tacitly acknowledges this fact with the label requirement. I'm certainly of the opinion that matching up where possible is a sensible approach.

However, the officially issued guidance notes for Part P indicate that "in the Secretary of State's view" one method of achieving compliance with this part of the building regulations is to follow BS7671. How, therefore, could it possibly be considered illegal to extend a red/black circuit in brown/blue when BS7671 permits this and compliance with BS7671 is also deemed to constitute compliance with Part P? (In fact the current edition not only permits it, it requires it, either by using actual brown/blue cable or by applying appropriate sleeving).

So, if you can reasonably avoid doing that, i.e. if you have old-colour cable in new condition available to you

How far is the definition of "available" to extend? Say I want to run a few yards along a wall to install an extra socket and have a suitable length of red/black cable in my stash, then clearly it's easily available to me. According to your interpretation, it would be illegal to use new brown/blue instead in that scenario.

But what if I don't have any suitable red/black cable stashed away? It would still be available to me if I cared to look around, since old stocks can still be found. I could even search eBay and pay some ridiculously inflated price for 3 or 4 yards of old-stock 2.5 T&E, so it would be "available" to me, would it not? Would you still claim that it's illegal to use brown/blue to extend, because I could acquire some red/black?

Aside from having to define "available," your interpretation of "reasonable" would give rise to the ridiculous situation in which having old cable available or not would result in the final installation using brown/blue to extend being either legal or illegal, even though the final result in both cases would be exactly the same.

You seem to be using the same rather bizarre interpretation of "reasonable" as you did about non-U.K. sockets some time ago:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209324&start=0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back