THE OLD COLOUR CABLES STILL SELLING

ebee said:
He means to comply with BS 7671 which he needs not but nevertheless might be a good idea if folk did comply.
I must admit I'm being slightly mischievous, but there is an important point at stake, and people should think about what they are doing, and why.

1) Compliance with BS 7671 is not legally mandatory.

2) Compliance with the Building Regulations is mandatory.

3) BS 7671 EICs permit exceptions to be documented.

4) Mandatory requirement P1 in the Building Regulations says "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury." I believe that it is perfectly reasonable to regard the continued use of old colours to maintain and extend existing installations as safer than arbitrarily introducing new colours.

I wonder when the first recorded case will be of a cowboy trying to dupe some poor householder into having a rewire because the colours have changed, see, and you have to use the new ones now...

Sponsored Links
Sshhhhh Ban! I haven't told them they are being duped. Luvley jubbly, loadsa dosh. ;) ;) ;)

pdcelec said:
old colour cable is very useful for installing new circuits in your own house in december 2004 ;)
When we get there I've got loads of 2.5T&E bought about 3 months before(!) in one of B&*'s clearance sales if anyone wants any....... :eek: Hairyjon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back