Anyone interested in old colour cable?

Sponsored Links
:LOL: I was way ahead of you and correctly answered your question,
No, you did not.

its not my fault that you're incapable of asking an unambiguos question.
I guess it was my fault for forgetting that you refuse to act like a responsible and intelligent adult.

Don't forget the thanks button.
Don't forget to go away and not return until you have matured.

:LOL: I was way ahead of you and correctly answered your question,
No, you did not.

its not my fault that you're incapable of asking an unambiguos question.
I guess it was my fault for forgetting that you refuse to act like a responsible and intelligent adult
Actually, he did correctly answer the question you wrote down. The fact that what you wrote wasn't what you intended is the issue - and just like we are having this discussion on interpretation of regs, holmslaw chose a valid interpretation of your question.

The correct answer would of course be black - because whatever core you used, you'd sleeve it black for compliance with regs and for safety.
When 3-core was R/Y/B, which colour(s) did people use for N?

And why?
But nice to see you putting some colour back into your posts, much prettier than plain old monochrome text :D

Sponsored Links
When 3-core was R/Y/B, which colour(s) did people use for N?

And why?
But nice to see you putting some colour back into your posts, much prettier than plain old monochrome text :D
Actually though, in the context of domestic work which is where this thread is based, and being a pedant at heart ...

isn't that technically four core ? R-Y-CPE-B or R-CPE-Y-B for the standard flat PVC cables.

Actually, he did correctly answer the question you wrote down. The fact that what you wrote wasn't what you intended is the issue - and just like we are having this discussion on interpretation of regs, holmslaw chose a valid interpretation of your question.
Given the contiguous sequence of:

"It is also ridiculous that people choose different colours to use as neutral in 3 core cables and similar.

Nothing 'harmonised' about that. "

"When 3-core was R/Y/B, which colour(s) did people use for N? "

To answer it other than saying which core people used for N is deliberately obtuse.

The correct answer would of course be black - because whatever core you used, you'd sleeve it black for compliance with regs and for safety.
There is no black core in non-harmonised 3-core cable, so the correct answer can't be black.

Unless, of course, you are being deliberately obtuse.

So where is this heading in relation to the point of dispute?

Yes, I think when using using red/yellow/blue most people picked the blue core to sleeve black where black was needed for one conductor. I'm not sure what that has to do with the point of contention though. :confused:

And just to throw a monkey wrench into this recent branch of the debate, remember that although red/yellow/blue was the most common 3-core (plus earth) cable, it was possible to get red/yellow/black as well.

To answer it other than saying which core people used for N is deliberately obtuse.
You asked which colour people would use, if you wanted to know which core, you should have asked which core. You started this whole argument by being pedantic about the meaning of "reasonable". But really, it's no more obtuse than your arguments - and I fail to see where you are going, other than to prove that people have been using mixed colours for a very long time without, apparently, the world ending.

So you seem to have started with the argument that it cannot be considered reasonably safe to mix colours, but then go on to give an example of how this has in fact been standard practice for as long as I can recall, without summoning the four horsemen.

You asked which colour people would use, if you wanted to know which core, you should have asked which core.
OK - if you want people to believe that when you saw the uninterrupted sequence:

"It is also ridiculous that people choose different colours to use as neutral in 3 core cables and similar.

Nothing 'harmonised' about that. "

"When 3-core was R/Y/B, which colour(s) did people use for N? "

you had no idea that I was asking which core people used then go ahead and persist with that claim - I'm sure it will make you seem to be more intelligent, more aware and to have great comprehension skills.

You started this whole argument by being pedantic about the meaning of "reasonable". But really, it's no more obtuse than your arguments -
It is neither pedantic nor obtuse to wonder how on earth deliberately choosing, for no reason, to make an installation more dangerous than you have to can be regarded as a reasonable thing to do.

and I fail to see where you are going, other than to prove that people have been using mixed colours for a very long time without, apparently, the world ending.
I was just asking sparkwright a question.

So you seem to have started with the argument that it cannot be considered reasonably safe to mix colours, but then go on to give an example of how this has in fact been standard practice for as long as I can recall, without summoning the four horsemen.
No - pay attention.

I started, continued, and am continuing with the argument that to deliberately and needlessly introduce dangers into an installation is not a reasonable thing to do.

I bet the nuerocrates ( that burocrats with neurosis ) could find a country where red is go and green is stop and pink is the new amber. This country has not had a single traffic accident in the past 100 years so its colour scheme has to be the best. So the black hole of europe dictates the whole of europe will harmonise to those new colours. Then when it is all complete little Fred pops up heis head and says, Do you know why there were no traffic accidents for 100 years ? There are no b****dy vehicles in the country. (':oops:')

Do you find it confusing that some MCBs show red when ON and green when OFF. We know it is green to go and work but others think it is green for go on the washing machine that the MCB feeds. (':evil:')

In the USA the phase is black and the neutral white. Both in fixed wiring and equipment leads

Which can cause problems when a 13 amp UK plug is fitted (assuming the equipment will work on 230 volts )

When 3 core was R, Y and B and I wanted to use one core as neutral, I would use blue.

This was mainly because just about everyone else did.

There also seemed some feint logic that blue matched the blue in european flexes that were gradually introduced to the UK in the 60s, or was it even earlier?

In the case of using SWA it could have been argued that yellow sort of matched the green and yellow earth colour that again was emerging and became mandatory over 30 years ago.

When the new colours came in it was announced
Red = brown
Yellow = black
Blue = grey

Black = blue

So logic dictated that the blue neutral just about everyone used in a 3 core as neutral would now be the grey.

The structure of 3 core and earth cable is;
red - brown
yellow - black
earth - earth
blue - grey

Question; anyone here ever use the old yellow as a neutral on a regular basis?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back