Anyone interested in old colour cable?

Sponsored Links
Paul_C seems to relish the opportunity to show that he has no concept of what "reasonable" means.

Sponsored Links
Paul_C seems to relish the opportunity to show that he has no concept of what "reasonable" means.

Do you dispute that an installation with mixed colours is less safe than one without

No. But by referring to BS7671 the official guidance on Part P clearly indicates that "in the view of the Secretary of State" using mixed colors is not, in itself, unsafe.

and that continuing to use old colours does not make the work you do non-compliant with BS 7671?

Yes, I dispute that. The current edition of BS7671 does not sanction the use of traditional colors any more. There was a changeover period, which expired in 2006.

Do you dispute that such an installation would present greater hazards to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than one where the colours had not been mixed?

No. I've never claimed as much.

But you've already answered "No" to the questions I posed. You've agreed that mixing brown/blue with red/black does not violate any rule within BS7671. You've agreed that the Approved Document indicates that the official position is that an installation complying with BS7671 is taken as being in full compliance with the "reasonable provision for safety" requirement of Part P.

So how can you still claim that it's illegal?

1) There is no regulation which prevents you from using red and black cable today.

Legally speaking no, but I'm not claiming that there is. You, on the other hand, are claiming that it's against the law in some cases to mix the systems.

2) Using R/B cable to extend/modify an R/B installation is safer than using new colours.

Not disputed.

3) If you have no reason to insist on using the new colours, if you can reasonably use the old ones then choosing not to do so is not a reasonable course of action.

4) Unreasonably making an installation less safe than you could otherwise reasonably do does not qualify as making reasonable provision to protect etc etc.

According to the official guidance for Part P, the Secretary of State does not agree with you.

Can you really think of any other example where a local authority would accept "I don't have the right material to hand" as an acceptable excuse for carrying out work which does not comply with the appropriate part of the building regs?
Again you refuse to recognise the presence of the word "reasonable", and again you insist that if I'm right the theoretical availability of something to you would make its use mandatory, whereas what I'm saying, over and over again, is that you must consider a reasonableness test.

I'll take that as a "No" then.

Then why, when all along I've talked in terms of it being reasonably available to you did you dream up the scenario of searching eBay and paying some ridiculously inflated price for 3 or 4 yards of old-stock 2.5 T&E because it was "available" to you?

I was trying to establish what you considered as being "available."

I originally said if you have it available. Not "could make it available quite easily", or "could get some if I tried".

So I'll ask again: In what other situation would whether you happen to have something readily to hand or not be an excuse for failing to comply with building regulations?

Whether you, I, or anyone else reading this considers mixing the cables to be making "reasonable provision for safety," as required by Part P, is one thing. But used mixed cables either makes such provision or it doesn't. It's ludicrous to claim that of two identical installations, one complies with the regulations and the other doesn't.

Shall we try to apply you approach to some other electrical issues?

1. I'm adding a circuit to feed some specific fixed appliance. I need a 20A MCB, but there is no particular technical reason for providing RCD protection. It just so happens that I have both a 20A MCB and a 20A RCBO of the correct types in my box. So do you consider it "unreasonable" and therefore illegal to install the 20A MCB, because using the RCBO would provide increased safety?

2. I'm wiring an extension and have none of the necessary supplies, so will be buying everything from scratch. On the grounds that radial circuits are safer than ring circuits with all their inherent shortcomings, is it illegal to wire the sockets in the new extension on a ring, because I could just as easily use radials?

It comes into it because we are talking about the law requiring you to behave reasonably.

The law under examination requires that the finished installation makes "reasonable provision" for safety. The reasons one has for doing something are irrelevant, so long as that requirement is met.

So you don't think it would be reasonable to scour eBay, I've never suggested it would be reasonable for you to scour eBay, in fact I've never suggested that it would be reasonable for you to make any effort to acquire such cable, and you don't think that it would be reasonable for the law to require you to do it.

And you agree that in such a case the finished installation using mixed cables would be fully compliant with the "reasonable provision" requirement of Part P. Yet for some bizarre reason you think that the same installation would not be compliant if I happened to have half a roll of red/black cable in the garage which I could have used instead.

And yet because some laws are deemed to be unreasonable you decided to throw all reason out of your argument and suggest that we can't imagine any laws being reasonable.

That's not what I said at all. I merely pointed out that the law does not always make demands which are reasonable (by the "Man on the Clapham omnibus" definition of the term).

Why is it perverse to regard a decision to reduce safety, made without any basis in reason, as being unreasonable?

There is no dispute about whether mixing the colors could introduce confusion and thus has a potential safety issue. My dispute is with you claiming that doing so is illegal, when all the official documentation clearly states otherwise.

Do you dispute that an installation with mixed colours is less safe than one without

No. But by referring to BS7671 the official guidance on Part P clearly indicates that "in the view of the Secretary of State" using mixed colors is not, in itself, unsafe.
But still no.

You believe that an installation with mixed colours is less safe than one without, and yet you also believe that deliberately and for no reason whatsoever making an installation less safe than you could otherwise do is reasonable behaviour.

As I observed earlier, if you really believe that, at the start of a job, saying to yourself "I know what I'll do, I'll deliberately make it less safe than it is even though I could just as easily not do that" is you behaving reasonably then you are beyond reasoning with.

Yes, I dispute that. The current edition of BS7671 does not sanction the use of traditional colors any more. There was a changeover period, which expired in 2006.
It does not prohibit them in a way which means that their use cannot be documented as an exception on the EIC, justified on safety grounds.

[code:1]
Do you dispute that such an installation would present greater hazards to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than one where the colours had not been mixed?

No. I've never claimed as much. [/code:1]
No.

You believe that an installation with mixed colours would present greater hazards to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than one without, and yet you also believe that deliberately and for no reason whatsoever making an installation more hazardous to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than you could otherwise do is reasonable behaviour.

As I observed earlier, if you really believe that, at the start of a job, saying to yourself "I know what I'll do, I'll deliberately make less provision for the safety of people maintaining or altering it in the future than it has now, even though I could just as easily not do that" is you behaving reasonably then you are beyond reasoning with.

But you've already answered "No" to the questions I posed. You've agreed that mixing brown/blue with red/black does not violate any rule within BS7671. You've agreed that the Approved Document indicates that the official position is that an installation complying with BS7671 is taken as being in full compliance with the "reasonable provision for safety" requirement of Part P.

So how can you still claim that it's illegal?
Simple.

It's not a reasonable thing to do, and therefore whatever provisions result from it cannot be said to be reasonable.

According to the official guidance for Part P, the Secretary of State does not agree with you.
Yes he does.

He has said that your provisions for safety etc must be reasonable. If you have not behaved reasonably in making provisions then they cannot be reasonable.

I'll take that as a "No" then.
You may take it for what you like, but your position can only be valid if you refuse to accept that there is any possibility of the concept of reasonableness being involved.

I was trying to establish what you considered as being "available."
Would you please provide a reasonable explanation of why you were so unable to understand

... if you have NOS pre-harmonisation cable available ...
...What I said was that if you have got some NOS pre-harmonisation cable available ...
... if you have old-colour cable in new condition available ...
But what if I don't have any suitable red/black cable stashed away?
Then it's not available to you
that you asserted that the presence of cable for sale on eBay, no matter what the price made it available to you in a way which would make it reasonable to expect you to use it?

So I'll ask again: In what other situation would whether you happen to have something readily to hand or not be an excuse for failing to comply with building regulations?
When the requirement is that it is to be used if you have it available, not that you have to use it no matter how unreasonable it is to obtain.

Whether you, I, or anyone else reading this considers mixing the cables to be making "reasonable provision for safety," as required by Part P, is one thing. But used mixed cables either makes such provision or it doesn't.
Wrong.

Using mixed cables either makes reasonable provision or it does not. If using them is unreasonable then it does not.

It's ludicrous to claim that of two identical installations, one complies with the regulations and the other doesn't.
It is not ludicrous to say that unreasonably choosing to make an installation less safe than it was means that you haven't been reasonable in your provision for safety.

Shall we try to apply you approach to some other electrical issues?

1. I'm adding a circuit to feed some specific fixed appliance. I need a 20A MCB, but there is no particular technical reason for providing RCD protection. It just so happens that I have both a 20A MCB and a 20A RCBO of the correct types in my box. So do you consider it "unreasonable" and therefore illegal to install the 20A MCB, because using the RCBO would provide increased safety?
As there could be technical reasons for not providing RCD protection, and because the cost of what you do has a bearing on whether it is reasonable then I can't answer that.

2. I'm wiring an extension and have none of the necessary supplies, so will be buying everything from scratch. On the grounds that radial circuits are safer than ring circuits with all their inherent shortcomings, is it illegal to wire the sockets in the new extension on a ring, because I could just as easily use radials?
If there really was absolutely no reason to prefer rings,

i.e.

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in ease of installation,

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the cost of cables, protective devices, CU space, testing time, documentation time, circuit labelling time,

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the ease of use of the resulting circuits,

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the degree of safety of the resulting circuits,

then yes, but since the last point is open to debate (there are reasonable differences of opinion on the relative safety of the two topologies), and it would be difficult to show that there would be absolutely no cost differences then the answer has to be no.

The law under examination requires that the finished installation makes "reasonable provision" for safety. The reasons one has for doing something are irrelevant, so long as that requirement is met.
No - it requires you to make reasonable provision in. If your provision is done unreasonably then you have not complied.

And you agree that in such a case the finished installation using mixed cables would be fully compliant with the "reasonable provision" requirement of Part P.
No I don't, not if you had behaved unreasonably and perversely done work which was less safe than it could have been.

Yet for some bizarre reason you think that the same installation would not be compliant if I happened to have half a roll of red/black cable in the garage which I could have used instead.
If you had the cable available then choosing not to use it would be deliberately choosing to compromise safety for absolutely no reason.

That cannot be said to be a reasonable thing to do.

There is no dispute about whether mixing the colors could introduce confusion and thus has a potential safety issue.
Precisely.

There ought to be no doubt, therefore, that deliberately choosing to introduce confusion and potential danger FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER is not reasonable behaviour.

My dispute is with you claiming that doing so is illegal, when all the official documentation clearly states otherwise.
The law requires your provisions for safety to be reasonable. If you do not behave reasonably then you have not complied.

To try and claim that you have is a bit like trying to defend yourself against a charge of driving without due care and attention on the grounds that you didn't actually have or cause an accident. The end result of your driving was the same.

wow, only two pages in and sheddy has already started with the multi-colours, various font sizes, underlines and italics.

I think its time his consultant and care team reviewed his prescription/s :)

Hes gone proper basil :p

You believe that an installation with mixed colours is less safe than one without, and yet you also believe that deliberately and for no reason whatsoever making an installation less safe than you could otherwise do is reasonable behaviour.

Just because one of two options available might be a better choice does not automatically make it unreasonable to adopt the other option - And certainly not when the other option is considered perfectly acceptable under all other circumstances.

It does not prohibit them in a way which means that their use cannot be documented as an exception on the EIC, justified on safety grounds.

So, as I said, red/black no longer complies with BS7671, which is what you asked. If the old cable still complied with the current edition of BS7671 there would be no need to note its use as a deviation, would there?

You believe that an installation with mixed colours would present greater hazards to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than one without, and yet you also believe that deliberately and for no reason whatsoever making an installation more hazardous to someone maintaining or altering it in the future than you could otherwise do is reasonable behaviour.

The question is whether reasonable provision has been made for safety, and the official interpretation is clearly that mixed colors satisfy that requirement. Whether you happen to have other materials around which you could have used is beside the point.

It's not a reasonable thing to do, and therefore whatever provisions result from it cannot be said to be reasonable.

Let me ask again, and I'll use this phrasing deliberately: How can you consider it to be a reasonable interpretation of the regulations that of two identical installations one is legal and the other is not?

Yes he does.

He has said that your provisions for safety etc must be reasonable. If you have not behaved reasonably in making provisions then they cannot be reasonable.

If you believe that the Secretary of State's view coincides with yours on this point, then why does the official guidance contradict that?

The Approved Document refers to compliance with BS7671 as being deemed to be compliance with Part P. It doesn't say anything about such compliance being conditional upon what other materials you may or may not have laying around which you could have used instead. BS7671 itself doesn't either.

When the requirement is that it is to be used if you have it available, not that you have to use it no matter how unreasonable it is to obtain.

Who is going to decide whether or not it is available? What if it's sitting in my workshop, but I have plans to use it for something else?

And all of this is pretty academic anyway, since after the brown/blue cable has been installed, who is ever going to know whether suitable red/black cable was sitting around the house anyway?

We know that building inspectors like to make up their own rules as they go along, but can you cite one instance of any installation being rejected on the grounds of your argument?

Using mixed cables either makes reasonable provision or it does not. If using them is unreasonable then it does not.

Again then - Explain why the official guidance notes do not say that, and in fact completely contradict it.

As there could be technical reasons for not providing RCD protection, and because the cost of what you do has a bearing on whether it is reasonable then I can't answer that.

So do you think that when a building inspector refuses to accept, say, insulation which falls below what he considers meets the requirements of the appropriate part of the building regs., you could simply claim that buying more would be unreasonable because of the cost?

If there really was absolutely no reason to prefer rings,

i.e.

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in ease of installation,

Again, do you think that difficulty of installation would be accepted as an excuse for failing to comply with other requirements of the building regulations?

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the cost of cables, protective devices, CU space, testing time, documentation time, circuit labelling time,

As above.

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the ease of use of the resulting circuits,

ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the degree of safety of the resulting circuits,

Given the dubious specifications for U.K. ring circuits which, even though considered unlikely, could result in overloaded cables whereas compliant radials cannot, that's unlikely.

then yes, but since the last point is open to debate (there are reasonable differences of opinion on the relative safety of the two topologies), and it would be difficult to show that there would be absolutely no cost differences then the answer has to be no.

Again, where does cost factor into being excused complying with any other parts of the building regs?

To try and claim that you have is a bit like trying to defend yourself against a charge of driving without due care and attention on the grounds that you didn't actually have or cause an accident. The end result of your driving was the same.

In the case of being involved in a collision versus not being involved in a collision, the end result is not the same. But in the case of using brown/blue to extend a red/black installation, the end result is the same, regardless of whether you had no red/black cable around or had it but chose not to use it.

However, to continue with your driving analogy, if you were driving at 50 mph on a road and were unfortunate enough to be in some sort of accident, would you want any accusations of driving without due care and attention to be judged on the basis of your speed being reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, or or would you be happy with a judgment that clearly you could have driven at 40 mph which would have been safer, and that therefore driving at 50 mph was unreasonable behavior because you chose the less safe option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back