Old english. A scorrock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a discussion with my good lady I mentioned that there wasn't a scorrock of sugar left in the bowl.
She asked what a scorrock was and I said that I thought it meant zero, zilch, nothing.
I've googled it but cant find any reference, has anybody else heard of this phrase or am I in the early stages of sd.
PS, not sure if I spelt it correct. :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I haven't heard of it but I am trying to revive nincompoop and ne'er-do-well.

which county were you (and your parents) brought up in?

Sponsored Links
ask here
http://ldsociety.com/Welcome To Lancashire Dialect Society.htm[/QUOTE]

Marvellous, reminds me of mi old grand ma who had a really thick lancashire dialect
One of her sayings I recall which sticks in my mind was,
"Ast astbin men bin yet."
By the way I have found 1 reference to my original post in the following, thank god I'm not going dolally.

Not a scorrock while I was there! ------------------------ “The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.” ...
www.wdphoto.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=71 - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

just had a google myself, and scorrick is certainly a lancashire term but also was used in the isle of man!

diane :)

diane1";p="717579 said:
just had a google myself, and scorrick is certainly a lancashire term but also was used in the isle of man!

diane :)

Thanks Diane1, I had been spelling it wrong all along, thanks to your correction, I have found the following which more or less confirms my understanding of the phrase.
MENTION of the old local dialect term, scorrick brought Lanky-twang memories tumbling back for reader Barbara Marshall.

A town-centre character, known universally as H, brought up the subject (June 5) after being puzzled by the origins of that word. And within hours, Barbara had e-mailed a response and added a few more quaint dialect terms learned at her dad's knee.

Confirming that a scorrick meant a small amount, she says: "My late dad, Alec, spoke with a really broad Lancashire accent, being a retired miner born at Peasley Cross.

"He used scorrick a lot, along with sken (too look at) snap (his packed working lunch) mash the tea (brew up) wom (for home) Land ob the ball (throw it)".

Chatting with the old-time pitmen must, she says, have been like listening to a foreign language at times. "But it was all very colourful, if sometimes a mystery as to what they were saying. The list of dialect sayings must be endless".

And she adds a few more memory-jerkers picked up from her dad. If disagreeing with something, and wanting to cut in, he'd exclaim: 'Owdonabit, sorry!' When leaving he'd say 'Sithee' and when seeking attention he'd call out 'Eigh up!"

Sad in a way that it's all dying out now.

Barbara signs off by recalling Wiswells, the dialect speaking Haydock farming family who supplied the neighbourhood with potatoes.

Si thi anon owd fettle.

Sponsored Links
Back