Old glue coming through the cushion floor / vinyl floor

Hi

Really interested in how this pans out.

I thought my situation was identical but my tiles weren't marley after all. The tiles were a PVC type, circa 1970. I was told the adhesive for these tiles was bitumen.

I took technical advise from F Ball, but in the end I just didn't have the time or money to do what was suggested.

What I did was use No nonsense pvc cleaner, poured it on, let it soak about 10 mins. Then I got to work with a floor scraper and blue towel. I reckon this took about 6 hours, but all the tackiness had gone.

I then laid 3mm hardboard over the floor and vinyl is being fitted this week. This is for a kitchen.

I am hoping this is a solution that might work, if not, hopefully it will buy me enough time to save funds in order to go with the technical advice I was given by F-ball.

Sponsored Links
My tiles are marley tiles from 1979 / 80 (I'm no expert, they could be PVC, or some mix, or something else all together). It's not the adhesive that stuck down the marley tiles that I was having issues with, it was the adhesive that was put on top of them to stick down an early bit of vinyl flooring, that then absorbed into the top of tiles and now leeches out of them. The stuff I used is meant for porous concreate floors, but I have taken a gamble it will work.

https://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/product/15033/sikabond_rapid_dpm

Nearly six months since I did this, and so far so good, none of the old glue appears to have come through into the cushion flooring.

Sponsored Links
Two years on and this has worked a treat. No stains coming through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back