Old metric size radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I hope you could help me. My mother in law is asking if this old type radiator could be replaced for a new Heated towel rail (like the chrome ones from screwfix).And was just wondering how easy this could be for a diyer? I want to work with the pipework that is there. is it best to get the towel radiator slightly smaller in size and pop an extending union on each side?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remember alot of tail rails the pipework enters the bottom not the sides as a normal radiator

1. Measure the distance between the outside of the pipes going in to the old radiator and subtract 15 mm. This gives you the pipe centre distance.
2. For each pipe measure the distance between the pipe and the wall behind and add 7.5 mm. This give you the distance from wall to pipe centre.
3. If you can't get a radiator with the same pipe centre distance and the same wall distance (allowing for the mounting brackets), you are going to have to modify the pipework.
4. If you have to modify the pipework:
4a. See if you can mount the new radiator a bit higher, to give you more room for modifications.
4b. You'll need to make up some bent pipework and / or some made up extensions with 45 or 90 degree elbows. It won't look particularly pretty, but paint it white and it won't show too much.
4c. I'd suggest the joint in whatever you make up (if not bent) will need to be soldered to minimise the room they take up.
5. Whatever you do, you'll need to drain the system down at least below the level of where the pipes go through the floor.

It would all be much easier if you have access to the pipes below the floor, and could bring them up to match the tails of the new radiator. If you don't want to disturb the tiles, consider going in from the ceiling below (if first floor or above). If you can't do that, I'd consider this a fairly advanced piece of DIY.

Sponsored Links
You will NEVER get a towel rail to give you heat output the existing radiator is putting out.
Prepare to have a cold bathroom once shiny bright rail is installed.

Thank you so much guys for your replies. You have all been very helpful, especially oldbuffer and seco services :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back