Old vaillant boiler - ignites but keeps clicking to try to ignite

azc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my office (which is subject to a full and repairing lease unfortunately), I have a Vaillant Thermocompact VC 142. It has always been a bit dicky when it is first started with the winter season, but on this occasion, it won't play ball at all.

My local heating engineer tells me that it has been obsolete in 2019, so it is hard for him to get support on it. So I'm trying to research and find the problem, then get him to change parts (I don't want to pay for his time to do the research!).

The problem is that the boiler ignites, and you see a flame, but it keeps clicking like it's trying to ignite. It then locks out. If you reset the lockout, it just does the same again.

The air pressure switch is working, and the fan control module is working. I've been told that the electrodes are OK as well and don't look dirty.

Can anyone offer any assistance please? I was told that the next step was the flame control module, but that's not a cheap bit.

I suppose that it's cheaper than having to buy a brand new boiler for the landlord to benefit from though!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
This is a gas related question, and tricky to diagnose correctly from afar, so you're better off sticking with the engineer's advice.
This is an old boiler (very good in its time) and has some obsolete parts, so you can't guarantee anything.
Fixed price repair from vaillant is no longer available for these.

The problem is that the boiler ignites, and you see a flame, but it keeps clicking like it's trying to ignite. It then locks out. If you reset the lockout, it just does the same again.

The air pressure switch is working, and the fan control module is working. I've been told that the electrodes are OK as well and don't look dirty.

Can anyone offer any assistance please? I was told that the next step was the flame control module, but that's not a cheap bit.

I would guess at the flame sensor, or flame control module. Begin with the cheaper part, the flame sensor.

There is a manual here - https://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Vaillant/Thermocompct VC GB112EH 142EH 112EB 142EB.pdf

• Thanks
Reactions: azc
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back