Older outdoor plumbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Black MDPE fitted underground!

Is it likely to be safely compressible for a few days while fitting a stopcock?

Does it need inserts?

Sponsored Links
usually OK to clamp it off but slide a Talbot fitting over the clamp point once the clamp is removed - don't forget to put the Talbot on the pipe before fitting the new stopcock!

MDPE or Alkathene? Black, underground - probably the latter. It'll be marked roughly every yard (pre-metrification).

MDPE can be clamped off, but Alkathene is harder, stiffer, less flexible. Not sure if it will work. IIRC clamps were not around in the good old Alkathene days.

for a few days while fitting a stopcock?
Obviously on an hourly rate, not a fixed-price job. :LOL:

Alkathene might fracture.
I once had a clamp for compressing lead that consisted of 2 metal bars and two nuts & bolts that would squash the pipe closed but i never tried it on alkathene..... it might work :?:

Sponsored Links
MDPE can be clamped off, but Alkathene is harder, stiffer, less flexible. Not sure if it will work. IIRC clamps were not around in the good old Alkathene days.

:
I don`t remember seeing them - first time I saw was by the Gas Board on the New yellow underground pipes . I`d go for freezing the Alkathene ;)

MDPE or Alkathene? Black, underground - probably the latter. It'll be marked roughly every yard (pre-metrification).

for a few days while fitting a stopcock?

Obviously on an hourly rate, not a fixed-price job. :LOL:

It probably is alkathene!

Its only exposed for about 300 mm so little chance of seeing any marking.

On my own property and connected to a system which serves several houses with no obvious way to turn it off so I don't want to risk splitting it when I cannot turn it off. In any case the water could possibly run into my cellar and flood that!

The wish to turn it off for days was to enable me to cut out a section to then search for a fitting as there are no local proper plumbing merchants who are likely to stock it. So freezing, even if it worked, would not be an option.

My thoughts extend to heating with boiling water to help compressing it! Anyone tried that?

Having seen a neighbour who holed a lead larger supply pipe when the supply stopcock had sheared off and created a local stream through the back gardens for a few days until ST Water replaced the damaged valve.

It was pretty bad when I got there but I managed to reduce it from about 40 li/min to about 5 li/min using jubilee clips and inner tube!

Tony

Dig a bigger hole then.

Takes less than 2 mins to snip the pipe and fit a stopcock, just make sure the valve is turned on when you do the nut up.

Its a good pressure so about 40 li/min could flow out and if I got it wrong or the valve did not fit there is no way out.

It would probably fill up my cellar! Otherwise I would invite you round!

Does that pipe need inserts? Are they even still available?

Tony

Yes it needs an insert, and the pipe will be Identified along it's length.

I posted a chart the other week with the different pipes and inserts.

But are the stopcocks not still available!

Without Charnwood in my local merchants I don't have much hope of getting any right parts!

Local City Plumbing hardly stocks less common heating bits let alone water supply parts!

Tony

Philmac is readily available, and I'll assume even in your part of the world.

All you have to do is ID the pipe.

Tony, I can come round and be there when you do it, I have pumping out equipment in case the worse happens.

PM me (if you want)

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back