Oldest (operational) appliance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of fun given the seriousness of many threads on here. What is the oldest operational appliance within your home (or garage/outhouse), how old is it and what's the make/model? I'm only referring to the following, so limit your answer to one of these:

Fridge
Freezer
Fridge/freezer
Washing machine
Tumble dryer
Dish washer
Cooker (built-in or free-standing)

EDIT: Some folk are including other items, so if you want to do that, feel free, although try to stick to actual appliances ;)

I'll start:

Fridge/freezer
Beko
11 years (might be older, was here when I moved in)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fridge/Freezer (Beko) and washing machine (from the planet Zanussi) both bought in 2004. Got a microwave at the same time (Sharp), but was murdered by one of our offspring with teh pantry door.

Both remaining appliances working well. Washing m/c been repaired twice, which we can't complain at, given we have two kids, and used washable nappies for a few years.
Fridge/freezer showing its age (seal is split), and will be replaced when we get a new kitchen.

My Mum and Dad were given a "Hoover" tumble dryer by my late Grandmother in 1991 which still gets weekly usage in the winter months. It wasn't new then!

My father-in-law has a perfectly-working chest freezer (unsure of brand) from his 1988 wedding present.

EDIT -- Mum and Dad got rid of their 'Glow Worm' boiler in 2019 and that had been in the house since the very early 1980s (its first service was 1981).

I still can't bring myself to replace the working washing machine, I inherited when I moved in. Its a Bosch WFK2200. I think its late 1990s? '96 based on the SN. It makes annoying beeping noises, but works.

My Mum and Dad were given a "Hoover" tumble dryer by my late Grandmother in 1991 which still gets weekly usage in the winter months. It wasn't new then!

My father-in-law has a perfectly-working chest freezer (unsure of brand) from his 1988 wedding present.

EDIT -- Mum and Dad got rid of their 'Glow Worm' boiler in 2019 and that had been in the house since the very early 1980s (its first service was 1981).
In my previous house, the boiler I think was a Glow Worm. Looked older than 1980 (more like 60s!). Refused to change it, as it worked and just needed vacuuming once a year.

Last edited:
I still have the radio/cassette/c.d player from 1991 and despite the hammering its endured over the years keeps on rockin'. It's the only thing i have to play my cassettes so is used sparingly and with great care, but the radio gives me decent reception in t'shed, although i switched to a digital used in the house a few years ago.

She what scowls at me had a new kitchen fitted about 3 years ago. The fridge and freezer (both Hotpoint) were both over 20 years old. In that time, I replaced the thermistor twice. Both were working fine when they were binned. Our Miele washing machine and Hotpoint tumble drier were the same age. The Miele- I replaced the brushes twice- it too was working perfectly when it was binned. The tumble drier- I replaced the belt- but for the last 4 years you could hear that the bearings were knackered.

The only appliance that we still have is the Neff built in deepfat fryer. 23 years later it still works and has never required any maintenance but I suspect that it isn't really reaching 180 degrees anymore.

Kerby Heritage II, with all the accessories. Bought at great expense and hardly used, it was too robust. Must be 25/30 years old.

A mate of mine used to do door to door selling of those. They even had an attachment for hoovering up the dandruff from your scalp...

No idea. Actually, we do have a Kenwood processor that we've probably had since our first flat in 1999.
Apart from that, everything else is pretty new. Had an Ariston fridge freezer, which did go on and on and on and on, until about 2013. Which I guess means the Hotpoint fridge must be 9 years old already.

My turntable and stereo amp are from 1999. And my electric guitar is currently in the repair shop, and that is from 1988, I think.

In my previous house, the boiler I think was a Glow Worm. Looked older than 1980 (more like 60s!). Refused to change it, as it worked and just needed vacuuming once a year.

So simple and robustly built. Actually a distinct memory from my childhood is the smell of warm dust in the Autumn months, when it would fire up again for the central heating..!

I don't think it had actually broken either; they were tiling the hall and wanted to reclaim the space it took up.

Sponsored Links
Back