On line gambling.

That's a good story Conny and it shows the sort of evil characters found in the world of gambling.

The sort of people the Bliar government we in thrall to when they deregulated a lot of gaming controls. The conntrols were put in place long ago to prevent ordinary people frittering away their hard-earned. Blair, etc didn't care. All they wanted was the money. The opportunities for gambling exploded and many became addicted.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's unlikely but if true an extremely rare example of anyone profiting from betting. Gamblers brag when they win but never mention the much more frequent instances when they lose, and how much they lose.

The worst thing about betting on horses is the cruelty to the animals. At least one horse dies every week in British races, see the link hereunder, and it's a horrible death. All those involved in the sport are responsible for killing these horses.

Race Horse Death Watch
I don't disagree with this sentiment. However, if things like horse racing were blanket banned, they would still take place. Obviously not in a public sense, obviously without legal & legitimate sponsorship etc, obviously not on a grand scale. But you'd still have people breeding and racing horses, with little or no safeguards for the animals or riders.

Slightly OT but I think the same of things like boxing.

It would simply drive it underground.

Sponsored Links
Those advertisements are what prompted my post.
Each night when we go to bed we watch TV for about an hour. No matter what station or programme we watch you can guarantee when the breaks come on they will be for gambling of one kind or another. And they are all fronted by personalities of one genre or another. The first one to spring to mind is that ex-football manager, Arsene Wenger(?) and then Paddy Power. I'm sure I've seen the guy with the funny head, (no disrespect intended), having something to do with horse racing, (maybe an ex jockey?). And the one that really riles me is Sky Vegas, the guy with the outlandish facial hair who gets into a lift and straps in but the lift attendant simply stands there!

Those advertisements are what prompted my post.
Each night when we go to bed we watch TV for about an hour. No matter what station or programme we watch you can guarantee when the breaks come on they will be for gambling of one kind or another. And they are all fronted by personalities of one genre or another. The first one to spring to mind is that ex-football manager, Arsene Wenger(?) and then Paddy Power. I'm sure I've seen the guy with the funny head, (no disrespect intended), having something to do with horse racing, (maybe an ex jockey?). And the one that really riles me is Sky Vegas, the guy with the outlandish facial hair who gets into a lift and straps in but the lift attendant simply stands there!

The problem is, that many see such people as role models and tend to try to emulate their life style. If they promote gambling, then they get it into their heads that gambling is a good thing to do. Personally, I have never been much of a type to hero worship of any type.

Maybe we should ban the advertising of gambling like we eventually banned all advertising for tobacco?

Prohibition has NEVER worked for anything & most people do not understand the physical & mental imbalances that are the causes of addiction. But still they shout out & vote for what they think will solve the problems . . . .

Pro footballers influence millions of youngsters. I'm ok with that. However, a lot of pro footballers gamble - and it is inherent within the sport. And it's definitely peer related.

Gamblers / Gambling

why is it every one else’s fault when it goes pear shaped

and never the gamblers fault

????

I can see how it can become a slippery slope.

My Grandparents used to do it for fun (10p accumulators and the like), maybe a fiver on the Grand National.

I run out work lottery syndicate but that's as close as I get to gambling.

Sponsored Links
Back