On top or not

Arthur Cider said:
so what happens when he moves the fridge freezer wmachine - left a bit / right a bit / over there etc

Why not just floor upto the wall less 10mm expansion gap and put white furniture on top
Because the weight of the appliance is heavy and if the laminated is under them it normally push down giving a tent action depending on the thickness of the laminated flooring. I put down plywood underneath the appliance to the same thickness of the laminated flooring so can be move if neccessary.

Sponsored Links
Woodyoulike/masona, agreed, wood will expand in any direction and is strong enough to do so at will, so why does everyone talk ONLY about an EXPANSION GAP as one of many preventatives

What about another obvious ....

Sealing the Laminate/Real Wood/Solid Wood with a WATER SEALANT (Varnish or Liquid wax) afterwards (as WYL has posted)

Remember the expansion cross code …

THINK WATER, THINK HEAT, THINK WEIGHT, THINK EXPANSION, THINK BUCKLE, THINK THRICE – or rip it up and start again (we know a song about that don’t we Billy)

I would counsel against using varnish on a kitchen floor, even Superharddoublediamondespeciallyforkitchenfloorsreassuringlyexpensiveatfortyquidatin Varnish.
Kitchen floors get such hard wear (grit coming in on shoes, chair and table legs sliding about, grit getting under chair and table legs, that even seven coats of Superharddoublediamondespeciallyforkitchenfloorsreassuringlyexpensiveatfortyquidatin Varnish, in my experience, lasted about two weeks.

I'm a complete convert to wax, preferably OS hard wax, or polyx or whatever it is now.
very easy to apply, very hard wearing, even on floors, and non sticky, so it doesn't accumulate grit like soft waxes may, and easy to repair and make good in small areas.

One day, I will pluck up the energy to resand my beautiful original oak parquet floor, and get the horrible patchy dirty Superharddoublediamondespeciallyforkitchenfloorsreassuringlyexpensiveatfortyquidatin Varnish that lasted 2 weeks off and apply some lovely wax. I wonder how many sander belts I'll get through?

Sponsored Links
pieman said:
Superharddoublediamondespeciallyforkitchenfloorsreassuringlyexpensiveatfortyquidatin Varnish.

I will at all costs avoid any proucts with long names and decriptions that either 'spell' expensive or godly-like powers.

This i vow on my husbands income for i am not willing to make any vows on my income.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back