One coat, easy clean, grease and mould resistant paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One coat, easy clean paint (and grease and mould resistant?)

I'm a Scout Leader and our group has been asked to help a local Food Bank to decorate and move into a new storage room. Really need some advice on what paint to use please.

The room is at the back of a community centre and it is 10x8m with high ceilings (2.9m). The room isn't in a bad condition, it's already painted white all around but looks well used. There's some wall repair and filler needed. In one place it looks like a large mirror was pulled off the wall revealing some of the plaster.

The room has no windows, but does have some air con units for ventilation. It feels like being in a basement.

The Food Bank has asked that we do the job in a day, ideally needing only one coat of paint. And that they are able to wash the walls if needed. They pointed to Dulux easy clean and Dulux one coat. They somehow want the magic of both those products in one I guess.

And with it being basement like - I wonder if we need to consider any sort of mould resistance?

What paint would you suggest we use please?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Dulux Easy care requires two coats, with approximately 2-4 hours between coats. Lack of airflow may be an issue though. I don't know how much the aircon will hamper the drying process. I tend to do domestic work. In rooms with AC, I turn it off because it make the paints "drag". However, (in your case) without ventilation, the water in the paint will linger- resulting in the paint taking much longer to dry.

Dulux Simply Refresh One Coat Matt is not scrubbable. I tend to use Dulux Trade rather Dulux (retail) paints but I very much doubt that their white one coat paint will cover dark scuff marks in one coat.

With respect, as teenage DIYers, your scout group probably lacks the experience to apply the paint evenly enough to get away with one coat.

I don't think the time constraints are realistic. Even if you use a (relatively) fast drying filler such as Toupret TX110 you may be waiting hours for it to dry. You could use polyester resin filler (think: 2 part car filler). It can be sanded in as little as 15 minutes but you will need a decent sander.

Ultimately, waterbased paints break down when they come into contact with grease. That said, I don't imagine that the walls will be splashed with grease/oil on a constant basis.

If I were doing the job, I might use a shellac based paint. It is pigmented shellac suspended in alcohol. It dries extremely quickly but, it releases alcohol in to the air as it cures. Once the paint is touch dry the smell is gone. The finish is similar to eggshell but the white is a slightly creamy white. It is vastly more durable than water based paints but it is not appropriate in your case because of the alcohol fumes.

Another option that may get around the lack of air flow is to use an epoxy waterbased paint. They use a catalyst to cure.

Others are available- google "epoxy wall paints"

They do however require two coats and need 24 hours between coats. They are designed for high traffic areas. I have never used them though and so would recommend that you phone the manufacturers prior to making any purchase (explaining the set up in as much detail as possible).

Sorry to not have been able to offer you what the food bank is asking for.

Thanks for the really detailed reply. Some options I never would have considered.

Sounds like one coat is the problem here and I should just plan it as a 2 day job?
Can you recommend a paint then that would be easy for my Scouts to apply and scrubbable? Should I also consider mould resistance?
White matt is all that the Food Bank have requested colour wise.

This is my thinking...
Day 1
Fill holes in wall (polyfilla, etc)
Prime/seal the one part of wall with plaster showing
Paint around edges

Day 2
Sand filler
Paint coat 1
(lunch break)
Paint coat 2
Gloss skirting boards

Thanks for the really detailed reply. Some options I never would have considered.

Sounds like one coat is the problem here and I should just plan it as a 2 day job?
Can you recommend a paint then that would be easy for my Scouts to apply and scrubbable? Should I also consider mould resistance?
White matt is all that the Food Bank have requested colour wise.

This is my thinking...
Day 1
Fill holes in wall (polyfilla, etc)
Prime/seal the one part of wall with plaster showing
Paint around edges

Day 2
Sand filler
Paint coat 1
(lunch break)
Paint coat 2
Gloss skirting boards
The epoxy coats seem to be mould resistant. They will be more durable but might be overkill.

Your proposed plan seems to be realistic.

I would however recommend the Tx100 filler. It will dry faster than standard powder based fillers.

Apropos paint options, given that you have now mentioned that you need to paint the woodwork as well, I would be looking at some thing like Dulux Trade Diamond eggshell

No need to worry about cutting in, Recoat time is however longer. If you force a second coat too early, it will pull the previous coat off.

I would add that extension poles will make life much easier. They eliminate the need to climb up step ladders to roll walls/ceilings. They also allow the user to apply pressure using the lower part of their body, rather than their arms (which can become tiring).

Sponsored Links

I haven't used that Crown durable matt before but the reviews are largely positive.

Bizarrely TP charge £25.10 for the 2.5L and £21.30 for the 5L. At £21.30, that is an extremely good price.

If the woodwork doesn't need priming, forget about the primer/undercoat, just dilute dome of the emulsion (as per the instructions on the tin).

Yep, weirdly good price, but says it's in stock local to me. It's reasonably priced in other stores too.

Thanks for all the advice. Now to get everything moving :)

With all respect. If the food bank people are insisting it only takes one day, They had better roll their sleeves up and help you out! good luck with it, from an ex fellow scout leader

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back