One for the Gassafe guys - Neighbours' boiler flue location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been at the GF's house, investigating a noise she only notices in the bedroom at night... honest!... Anyways, it seems like it's coming from the neighbour's boiler.

I'm more than a little concerned about the neighbour's flue installation. Both properties are 1930s bungalows, with about a Metre gap between them. there are high and low level air brick vents in each room, as was common practise at the time they were built.

The flue from the neighbours' boiler sticks out of the wall of their bungalow about a foot so the terminal is clear of their soffits, but that leaves the terminal in line with, and pointing at two of the high level air vents in the wall of the GF's house.

Does that sound like a poor/unsafe flue installation to you?
Who should we seek advice from? LABC? Gassafe? Environmental Health?

Sponsored Links
If there is only a metre between the properties.
At the very least a plume diverter should have been fitted
to divert the plume away from the other property.
1 metre is too close to the neighbours property if the plume is blowing
straight at it and likely to cause a problem.

I don't think your proposed action will solve the noise problem.

Does your GF's flue disperse over their property or the other neighbours? Because if it does, you don't want to start a war.

Why not block the upper air vents in your wall, assuming they aren't for any safety purpose (such as a boiler compartment, or combustion air)?

Sponsored Links
Think that the recommendation in british standard is at least 2 metres from an opening in a building opposite for fanned flue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back