One for the sparks...

I don't mean there isn't a question to be answered I mean he doesn't have the knowledge required (as you have said) to know what he should have been doing. If the RCD hadn't tripped, he would have been fine with his installation and gone on to the next bodge job.
Exactly.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
inline shower fan/light... ... connected to the ring main which was RCD protected (the lights were not)

I have rectified the issue by taking a permanent live from the lighting circuit...

I'm not sure how an in-line shower/light is configured but shouldn't at least the light be protected by an RCD which it now is not?

Haha...Look buddy, I am a fully qualified gas engineer/plumbing technician with qualifications coming out of my ringpiece
I'm sure you have.

For gas and plumbing.

But you know so little about electrical installations that you borrowed a neutral from another circuit and then couldn't work out why the RCD kept tripping.

The level of ignorance that betokens is such that you should not be doing electrical work.

Excellent reply.

You really shouldn't be doing electrical work if you thought supplying one item from two different circuits was acceptable.

Fortunately the RCD detected this 'mistake', had there not have been an RCD this balls up would have remained unnoticed, or until someone else had to work on it.

The lighting circuit would have consisted of L, sw L and N, so I'm not sure why you thought it was a good idea to borrow a feed from another circuit.

Your qualifications in gas and plumbing have clearly not told you any basic electrical knowledge. This really is basic stuff. Why do you think qualifications in gas and plumbing means you can do this is a mystery.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how an in-line shower/light is configured but shouldn't at least the light be protected by an RCD which it now is not?
That was, indeed, another of the issues about which I expected 'other comments' from some people.

Kind Regards, John.

If you took the Sw/L and neutral from the switch, why didnt you just take the Live aswel? Are you sure the neutral was actually the neutral?

lol, in light of the replies Micheal the incompetent plumber has received, i very much doubt he'll be returning to respond to the comments put to him.

I can see that as being far too embarrassing for him :LOL:

If you took the Sw/L and neutral from the switch, why didnt you just take the Live aswel? Are you sure the neutral was actually the neutral?
That's an extremely good point, which none of us have raised. At the time of the OP, I suppose we all (certainly me) took the post at face value and effectively assumed that (s)he knew what (s)he was talking about and therefore that what we were being told was correct. However, as you say, on reflection it is more than a little odd.

Kind Regards, John.

That's an extremely good point, which none of us have raised. At the time of the OP, I suppose we all (certainly me) took the post at face value and effectively assumed that (s)he knew what (s)he was talking about and therefore that what we were being told was correct. However, as you say, on reflection it is more than a little odd.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John,

I hope you are well.
I did notice that, but as others had already pointed out his lack of knowledge i didn't really bother to raise it.

However, as i've come back to this thread theres something else that I'm now wondering about:-
He mentions fans and underfloor heating, he claims to be a plumber. I wonder if he has been installing/refitting a bathroom?

I don't particularly understand the way work is restricted in Scotland ( i know Part P doesn't apply), but isn't there some need for a work warrant? Maybe someone could enlighten me?

It seems as though Micheal the plumber has left his full name, approximate whereabouts, his date of birth and a photograph of himself.
I'm not sure i'd be sad if somehow he got reported to trading standards (or Scottish equivalent ?) for shoddy work practises, possibly leading to danger for his unsuspecting customers.

Just thoughts.

Hi John, I hope you are well. I did notice that, but as others had already pointed out his lack of knowledge i didn't really bother to raise it.
I have ben reminded yet again 'never to assume', and certainly not to assume that what we are told is necessarily true! The more I think about it, the more odd it becomes. It would make far more sense if, as we quite often see, we had been told that the neutral had to be obtained from somewhere else (possibly, and inappropriately, from a different circuit). Even if (not impossible) a neutral had been available at the switch, it surely should have been obvious that a permanent live was (inevitably) also available there?

As for the rest of your comments, I don't disagree, but I know nothing about regulation etc.in Scotland. His plumbing skills may, of course, be exemplary, but ..... !!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back